Ross Stores - Nice place | Glassdoor

"Nice place"

Current Employee - Floor Associate in Amarillo, TX
Current Employee - Floor Associate in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of fun, most employees are happy there and those that aren't can except their problems addressed promptly, even though I'm part time there are plenty of people who call in so I get good hours, generous discount, I am generally not ashamed of what we sell - I would buy it

Cons

A few lazy supervisors, customers can be frustrating and very rude, cleaning up the store can be insane and it gets very messy, customers love to steal and can't be trusted, customers are very irresponsible about their kids snd let them run all over messing the store up

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on those in management positions, not just those in entry level spots, have associates clean bathroom instead of cleaning crew once a day-it gets filthy

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. "Sales Associate = modern day slave. Apply here as your LAST possible resort."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-you get paid...that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Cons

- terrible work environment. Always unclean and understaffed. Never enough people and never enough coverage. As a result, you're forced to stay (on average) an hour after your shift. It is impossible to get off even close to on time and they don't respect the fact that you have a life outside of the workplace.
    -management micromanages you to an extreme degree. I don't need you watching every single step i take...if you feel like you're being watched, you probably are. They watch you more than they watch for potential thieves or shiesty customers
    - there is ZERO training. I mean, 0. If you mess up, you will be interrogated by a manager whether you've been trained to do the right thing or not.
    -if you work the closing shift, you're expected to stock the floor. Closing shift gets off on average an hour and a half after the store closes.
    -If you work the fitting room, they are anal about rack organization and you have to clean the racks by the end of your shift, and put away go backs. You also are responsible for shoes and toys and kids and mens basics. All that, AND you have to work the fitting room.
    - the pay is laughably low. It's minimum wage and they will work you like a dog for it.
    - management treats you like a common criminal and an idiot. So much micro management and procedural stuff that you do here that doesnt exist anywhere else. You can get fired for not bagging each item individually once you ring it, because the camera (they watch your every move) may think you're stealing....okay. The company is anti benefit and anti union, and the way they convey that to the associates is by insulting your intelligence completely. they try to convince you that it's not in your best interest
    - if you're part time, you will be working all of your open availability. Literally all of it.
    - the job you get hired for is not the job you do. Know that you may be in the stock room today and working the cash register tomorrow. Of course, you won't be trained and then blamed if something goes wrong.
    - No one stocks the registers with supplies, so you are always running out. So customers have to wait as you steal bags from another register or tell them you need to get wrapping paper.
    - Customers are extremely disrespectful to you and the merchandise.
    - The managers sit in the back and never come out of their office. They complain about everything imaginable, but usually don't get up to help or cover a section.
    - I recommend this job to someone who has no other options and seriously needs $$. I'm talking, you don't speak english or you need money ASAP. Otherwise, do not go anywhere near here. I just quit today and I feel so good!

Advice to Management

respect your workers, acknowledge positive outcomes, and hire more coverage. Advice to corporate: stop insulting the intelligence of your workers. I see this company as a boycott waiting to happen, because the mistreatment of employees is rampant. I recommend better benefits, a hourly salary increase and more flexibility with hours and coverage.

2. "A good place to work if you enjoy retail."

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent part-time hours on stock crew. Work days usually during week and mostly have weekends off. Work at your-own-pace work. Not much customer interaction.

Cons

In the end, it's still retail..

Advice to Management

Follow the procedures of the employee handbook more thoroughly.