Ross Stores - Not a career, has become a joke | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

"Not a career, has become a joke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stepping stone until anything else comes along.

Cons

Long days with a great deal of responsibility. No teamwork within the stores.

Advice to Management

Know what is happening in your stores and actively fix.

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. "Good summer job"

Former Employee - Cash Office in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Cash Office in Tomball, TX

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a good summer job (would not want to work here for a long time, however). The hours were flexible, my job was simple (once learned), and most of my co-workers were good people. It was a moderately friendly atmosphere. My store manager was incredible, friendly, and on top of her stuff! The other managers were also okay. I thought Ross had a good motivational system in place and that they recognized good staff members was also amazing. Corporate Ross seemed exciting to me, but down at the store level, there was room for improvement.

Cons

The managers did seem to be under a lot of pressure, but I'm not sure if that is just how they dealt with stress or if there really was an extreme amount of pressure. Also, I worked at a new store, and they hired a bunch of people and then later assigned them jobs within the store. As a result, my job required very little hours and I began to work less hours than I had hoped for. This was just a summer job for me, and I only wanted some pocket change for college, and therefore, in the grand scheme of things, I did not mind giving up extra hours to people that couldn't survive off of 10 hours a week. Lastly, I don't think I need to say this, but customers at this store can be especially difficult to deal with...the clientele the store attracts can sometimes lack tact.

Advice to Management

I know it must be frustrating to work in a place with high turnover rates, but I would still advise managers to be personable and respectful to employees. When I had questions or problems, there were times when the reaction I received was unnecessarily rude.

2. "Good people, not so great company to work for..."

Former Employee - Assortment Analyst in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Assortment Analyst in Dublin, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- For the most part, the company employs very nice people
    - Benefits and perks are nice (on-site gym, cafeteria, employee discount etc)
    - Work/Life Balance exists if your create it. I witnessed some co-workers allowing their workloads to get the best of them. I did not.

Cons

- There did not appear to be very many opportunities for growth in the near future
    - I did not feel equipped to take on this position after undergoing training. The training did not feel thorough enough.
    - Minimal direction is given as if you're supposed to figure everything out on your own when you're new
    - To affect change you have to jump through too many hoops...there's minimal room to really own your areas of responsibility

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more involved and invested in the development of the associates who work under them. There is minimal interaction between management and associates and I think creates an uncomfortable work environment.