Ross Stores - Nice People, Low Pay | Glassdoor

"Nice People, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier/Fitting Room/Stock Room in Richmond, TX

Pros

Can pick up extra shifts, discount on clothes

Cons

The pay is minimum wage, it could be better.

Advice to Management

Pay more and there would be less turnover

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

"Too much work, unprofessional Management, favortism by Management, lack of appreciation for the non-favored."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Their were some many nice people there....mostly from other departments and I believe probably because there wasn't a fear of losing there job with workers from other departments.

Cons

Bad Management....or should I say Upper Management wasn't doing their job in obtaining quality Managers and/or keeping tabs on them. Nothing positive came out of my Managers mouth. The department moral was always very vegative as a result. Everyone in the department disliked this particular Manager but Upper Management just continued to look the other way and instead let the subordinates suffer, stress, and eventually burn out. Both Management and Upper Managemet would sacrifice the subordinates, and lie right in front of them, in order to save their behind. There was no decency in this department. Scare tactics were being used in that everyone in the department was in constant fear of losing their job. Co-Workers did not trust each other as a result of this and there was always an uneasiness within the department. It was not an evironment where you could maximize your abilities and potential nor could you feel comfortable knowing that your co-workers had your back.

Advice to Management

Don't hire your Managers from off the street. It takes a special type of person to be in a Managerial position....he/she needs to be approachable, educated, and Most of all a people person. They need to treat each and every one of their subordinates with respect and equally. In my personal experience there was employee favortisism by my Manager, and my Manager projected negativity on everyone when it should have been positive and uplifting.....i.e. you are doing a great job. Instead this particular Manager micromanaged to the point of being anal. Management used scare tactics (had everyone fearing for their job to the point that the team was no longer cohesive or functional anymore) in order to try and get more productivity out of their team. Mind you the productivity wasn't there due to the fact that Management wasn't providing a supportive environment. In addition to the late hours needed to "keep your head above water" management had mandatory overtime hours. It was an awful situation and upper Management just continued to ignore the problem until the team for the most part had dispersed...either voluntarily or involuntarily due to the negativity within the department. People were so dissatified with that department that I personally feel if the economy was good there wouldn't be a single soul in that department because they would have all moved on to better things. Employee retention essentially wouldn't be in favor of Ross.

"Very fast paced but employees are often overlooked"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator II in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator II in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Ross Stores is a fast moving company. It's good and bad, the great parts is there are openings internally and while I was there, many jobs were staffed from internal. The department I worked for was a large mix of outside vendors and consultants, but everything there works together in a good fashion. The lines between contractor/FTE is almost non-existent. Managers were often over booked, so communication was limited to either short talks in the hallway or once a week in person meetings.

While it highly depends on your manager, many of the jobs required a focus on project management, as there is limited visibility from managers since they are in meetings. This could be managing smaller projects to larger projects, in some cases your role might take a back seat to project management. There is training for staff but I think it was more on the decision of the manager than the employee's need, some groups while I was there were sent to boot camp, while other groups had little to none training.

Upper management at Ross was well run, while I was there a large change was done to move the company into the next step of being the largest off priced retailer. The changes worked and the business feels like it's run tighter, with less overhead, and a big focus on budget, Ross is a solid company to work for.

Cons

On paper Ross looks like an amazing company but what you don't see if how employees feel about the changes. Working at Ross from before their major internal rebuild to the new Ross has changed greatly. As it's a more efficiently run ship, there had to been new levels of performance requirements of the employees. Many of the previous employees were let go, and ones that stayed on had to make changes to the new requirements of the job. As a reminder to this fact, management passed around the book, "Who moved my cheese" which describes the details of looking for work instead of being a passive worker.

The employees while I believed were paid a market amount where not happy with their jobs. Most of the people I spoke to had the same complaints about their job, it was too much work and meetings for a 40 hour week. These were people in various roles, from non-management to management, and in different departments. What might have been the biggest problem is that in the IT department there was no love or interest in the job anymore, discussion among the members often was just how to resolve on-call rotation and dealing with project management. I think for any system engineer, this job might not be was I would call a 100% hands on, and more like 40% of project management. This also applies towards other technical roles but also non-technical roles.

Advice to Management

The leadership at Ross Stores have made it an amazing company, that is stable and still makes a profit in the worst of times. But with success comes a price, and it's the employees that often take the hit. I think there should be more incentives for the employees and often a happy worker will deliver much more benefit than an over worked unhappy worker.