Rovi - Great Benefits and Salary, but full of Bureaucracy and Bad Ideas | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rovi

"Great Benefits and Salary, but full of Bureaucracy and Bad Ideas"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Burbank, CA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company does a great job in the benefits department including several options for health, dental, and life insurance, 401K plans, and an employee stock program.

Cons

In recent years, Rovi has suffered from a variety of bad product ideas which makes them look like amateurs in the field. In my experience, there was not real innovation happening. Also, it seemed as if Rovi has a history of promoting the wrong people.

Advice to Management

Perfect the core business and stay focused on it. Stop jumping into "the next bug thing."

Other Employee Reviews for Rovi

"It's been good; but sunshine is fading now"

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great pay; nice benefit; nice bonus plan; nice stock [before; now go down sharply]; nice company culture.
    nice co-work.

Cons

poor management
    company development direction is in delimmer

Advice to Management

rovi has great market sense; but need improve upper management team to achieve the glory.

"All in the family"

Current Employee - Smarter Than My Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Smarter Than My Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay rate, and most likely you are smarter than your Manager

Cons

The latest news here is more of the same. This company has changed into a Gemstar TV Guide family/friends company. When Tom took over, it was the perfect opportunity to hire back/promote all the employees that failed at TV Guide (it is history, look it up). They currently run Rovi, hire friends and friends of friends, promote them in less than a year (but never announce it internally). Constant REORGS instead of focusing on what you have been talking about for 3 years, MAKING NEW PRODUCTS. Every company in our sector is worried about products, meanwhile Rovi has been worried about getting every last TV Guide employed and overpaid, and focused on everything except a product (except a few select). Investors are starting to figure it out.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring at ANY position that does not create product or make our product better. Stop trying to baby every last employee. Reward intelligence, not complainers. And WOW, stop hiring your old friends/family! We all know and talk about it, its not a secret!