Royal Bank of Scotland - I wouldn't work here again | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Royal Bank of Scotland

"I wouldn't work here again"

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. For the most part, very nice people in the Salt Lake City office.

Cons

Incompetent and impotent management that spawns from the very top. They do an excellent job a creating anxiety in the workplace and encouraging you to wonder if you'll loose your job - though not because of performance but because of consolidation or cutting or because they believe in patronizing their employees. If one outperforms, outpaces and outlearns colleagues, upper management will not do anything about it. No meritocratic structure.

Advice to Management

Don't breath anxiety into your employees and when you promise raises, make sure you can deliver. You need to find a better way to keep and promote top talent. Your rats are jumping ship.

Other Employee Reviews for Royal Bank of Scotland

"Just work, (be content that you have a job, be quite, oh…and please work a little more)"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay and good experience for your next job.

Cons

2 years with no pay raise or bonus. Most of my co-workers feel like you just need to do your job, make no mistakes. That said very few have any incentive to do more as there is no pay incentive to do so,...and the boss knows that, so he will ask you to do more... in a nice British way.

Advice to Management

I know the Queen owns us, but please share some of the wealth from our labors.

2. "Good entry IB role, but poor career advancement opportunities leading to exodus of good young talent"

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a good entry role into Investment Banking, and the work-life balance is one of the best around (probably too good!)

Cons

Poor career advancement opportunities led to an exodus of good young talent and has led to an ageing workforce. Still struggling to break out of banking crisis.

Advice to Management

Less changes in the hierarchy and a reduction in the number of levels - too many chiefs, not enough Indians couldn't be more appropriately used.