Rubenstein Public Relations - A PR firm that does not change as the years and advice go by.... | Glassdoor

"A PR firm that does not change as the years and advice go by...."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Rubenstein Public Relations full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing at all. A lot of cons and no pros

Cons

It is sad to see all of the fake reviews that are generated on RPR’s glassdoor. My time at RPR started out as promising. It seemed as if I would have the opportunity to grow and move up to a senior position. However, after the third month of being with the company I began to witness the barbaric behaviors of the president and his loyal followers who have been with the company for 5+ years. To everyone who is... thinking of applying here….. you are making a terrible mistake. You will not be happy here and you will feel as if you are worthless and incapable of impressing your managers. The president blames the younger staff for the faults of his loyal followers instead of realizing the entry level employees do all of the work and try the best they can to make a career for themselves. The senior staff and VPs who have been there the longest are worthless. They do not do any of their own work. There are at least FOUR senior staff who truly do their own work AND mentor their AE’s. Other than that, the rest of the VP’s blame their AE’s and assistants for the faults in their work. After leaving RPR I believed every employer would treat me the way the president and my manager would, but I learned RPR is not reality and I now have a voice in meetings, I get the help and mentoring I need, I have the ability to write freely, I can take an hour lunch without guilt and I can leave the office by 6:30pm without feeling sick and scared of being screamed at or talked about in the office. This not only has happen to myself, but to others who have left RPR. Again, other offices are NOT like RPR. Please do not work here, the people that work at RPR are the black sheep of the industry who do not have the ability to make it in the REAL world of Public Relations. TRUST ME all former employees who were the lucky ones to open their eyes and leave would echo this sentiment. Everyone looking for a job in PR look into other firms that have a promising growth and better glassdoor reviews. All of the negatives are the REAL truth – the good reviews are ALL fake. This is TRULY an abusive work environment, avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

The president needs to open his eyes. His entry level staff are the most valuable. Teach upper management how to manage them better and stop blaming them. It's not their fault it's the manager. Let them have the freedom to change a few things. The market place is changing and RPR needs to change.

Rubenstein Public Relations2018-01-17

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Opportunity to Build PR Experience"

Former Intern - Summer 2019 in New York, NY

I worked at Rubenstein Public Relations for less than a year

Pros

During my 2019 internship experience, I was able to work with a wide range of employees and accounts. Compared to my peers at other internships, I was able to get much more hands on experience. I worked directly with Senior Vice Presidents and Richard Rubenstein daily. Everyone at the office was always very friendly to me, and I looked forward to coming to work everyday.

Cons

None to mention, I thoroughly enjoyed my time this summer.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to give interns hands-on, real world experience. It makes the opportunity so much more rewarding.

Rubenstein Public Relations2019-08-11

"Life lessons"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Rubenstein Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

I truly believe Glassdoor is a great resource for people to share their experiences with the world. Nevertheless, you’ll find that people only write reviews when they have had negative experiences and will leave their reviews in the heat of the moment. I’m not going to defend that RPR was a positive experience. But sometimes moments in your life where you are supposed to learn a lesson isn’t always about good or... bad. The day I quit RPR was a day a thousand weights were lifted off my shoulders. However, still to this day I find myself thanking Richard Rubinstein for the opportunities he gave me to learn and grow within my career. RPR has a very weird dynamic. You are either Richard’s favorite, forcing your direct supervisors to hate you, or Richard hates you, forcing your direct supervisors to love you. No in between. I was one of the unique few that Richard decided to favorite. All the bullying and disgusting outbursts everyone will talk about on here was never once directed towards me. I saw him speak that way to other people, and yes I thought it wasn’t right. However, since I wasn’t being bullied directly from him, my SVP’s took it upon themselves to bully me. They micro-managed me to the point where no matter when I was doing something right, to them it was wrong. They disrespected me in ways no manager should ever speak to people on their team. But again, the lesson I learned is as I grow within my career and get the opportunity to manage people - i know for a fact exactly how I DONT want to manage people. Richard might not present himself in socially acceptable manners, but I have nothing but upmost appreciation and respect for him. He gave me opportunities and chances my direct supervisors thought I was to green for. He defended my work and mentored me to grow in areas I expressed interest in. He made a point to ask how I was doing and about my family. And most importantly, he took time out of his very busy day to teach me. Since working at RPR, I have moved my way up the corporate ladder and know for a fact I wouldn’t be the publicist I am today without working at RPR. I wouldn’t recommend working at RPR for only one reason: the senior level employees. At the end of the day, it’s your direct supervisors jobs to help you grow, not Richard. He didn’t set the best example, but there is absolutely no excuse why they also chose to act in such disrespecting ways. With that being said, I have to say thank you to RPR and for every life lesson you taught me - whether it was good or bad.

Cons

There was zero work life balance. I found myself working 12 hour days a lot, and 100% because the senior staff didn’t do anything expect delegate EVERYTHING down.

Advice to Management

Hire an HR individual that is for the people. Someone who can listen to their struggles and actually understand everyones pain and frustration.

Rubenstein Public Relations2019-07-29

Discover more reviews about Rubenstein Public Relations.