Rural/Metro - Great team | Glassdoor

"Great team"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not micro managed, trust there employees, great pay and benefits!

Cons

communication, finance issues, HR department

Other Employee Reviews for Rural/Metro

"Very Poor Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Paramedic and Critical Care RN in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Paramedic and Critical Care RN in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Rural/Metro part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no PROS at all about this company. I worked for this company in CO and knew it well while it operated in Maryland and thought it might be better in CO, I was wrong, no different.

Cons

Poor Pay, Horrible Management, Uncaring and Treat employees as they are disposable.If issues are brought up, there are retributions on the employee bringing up issues.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, Treat them with respect and dignity. Happy employees are much better employees and work harder.

"Could be better..."

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking to go fire and you live in San Diego, then working with RM will give you the experience needed to go that route. Working for RM for a period of time is a "highly desirable" quality for SDFD. With RM having the San Diego 911 contract, you get to run 911 calls. This is not necessarily true for other ambulance service companies in the area.

Cons

Cons...dealing with dispatch, 90% of your shifts will be over 12 hours...some 13, some 14. You may not get a lunch break. I would say more than 50% of the time you will not get a lunch break. There is a union, but this is the Con section. They dont do much to help you. There are no accolades for doing the right thing for your patient out in the field. If you want to go the extra mile for someone and stand up for them because they cant stand up for themselves, well, you are kind of on your own for that one. Please dont let that stop you though. Back to dispatch. Way too much power. They play favorites. They will put you on a late call 15 min before you are supposed to clear for the night. They will try and run you all day and then put you on a lunch break 10 hours into your day. They have a nice little break room with snacks and coffee and such, but they throw you on calls without even a thought as to how you are doing. I dont believe they know what it is like to be in the field. Surely most of them would perish from starvation or caffeine withdrawls, but somehow, we make it through each day. Another con, pay is no bueno. Do not expect to get a job here and then go out and buy a new car or a home. You can pay your bills, buy a 7-eleven burrito and some coffee and buy a dollar scratcher. Then wait 2 weeks to get another paycheck.

Advice to Management

All I can say is please listen to your employees. There seem to be too many supervisors and no help. I have tried to contact various individuals within the company regarding patient situations, just to find out that those people no longer work for the company and my "situation" got put on the back burner. Please get new rigs. The ones we drive for 12+ hours a day have radios that may or may not work, depending on the polarity of the moon on a given day. The seats are hollowed out and I have had to fold up 2 blankets on the seat just to so i dont sink down to the frame of the vehicle. They break down constantly. Also, how about a real fuel log. I have had employees tell me that they dont bother to log their fuel and mileage because management doesnt provide the means to write it down. Bar napkins and the back of receipts should not be the method to log this info...especially if it is handed back into the City for whatever purposes. Not an accurate log and I am sure there is some major oversight there.

Pay your employees more. Stand out. Just a dollar or two more an hour and your will have people beating down your door to work for you. Our patients are appalled when they find out how little we make.

Dont make employees have to fight for every dollar they earn. When you hire us to do a job for you, please understand that we do this job, as agreed upon, for a certain amount of money. When we do our jobs, and then you do not do yours, it creates animosity. I do not know anyone in the company that would agree to come to work everyday for free. Therefore, please pay in a timely manner and pay the correct amount...not 3 or 4 pay periods later.

Allowing dispatch to arbitrarily hold cars over again and again is unacceptable. Please review their methods. Allowing cars to post in areas for hours or go to the beach so they can dispatch another car on a call that will make them late for their EOS is ridiculous. There is a lot of financial waste due to the dispatchers lack of ability to do their job correctly.

Care to Cash? All that says is "we like money more than we care about our patients, employees, or pretty much anyone besides ourselves."