Russell Cellular - Russell Cellular had its ups and downs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Russell Cellular

"Russell Cellular had its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Forsyth, MO
Current Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Forsyth, MO

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate to have a good manager that really cared about his business and stood up for what he believed and was always honest with me. I seemed to have a good work/life balance, but this was due to my manager being very flexible with my schedule at times and I did the same for him as we both have small children

Cons

Benefits: If you have a family with children, you can expect to pay about 900.00 per month, and at the starting rate of 7.50 per hour that will basically take your whole paycheck for a month and leave you with only you commission to live on, and if youre a good sales person at a decent location, you can expect about 600.00 per month in commission.

The hourly pay is way below that industry standard and is great for a single person with no children or a family to support, but not a realistic job to raise a family on salary wise.

My District Manager was spread this because of the vast territory that she had, would sometimes only see her once every two weeks even though she only manages a 5 store district.

Store Manager had no authority to hire, fire...he did his best to coach me but was really just a very good sales person and not a great leader.

You lose commission if your customer cancels service or does not pay their bill for 6 months after the sale. I felt my job as a sales person was to sell the phone or the product. I was not hired to make sure people paid their bill, however, this is an industry standard.

Cold Calling everyday to prospect new customers or get old customers back in the door. You are expected to cold call 20-25 people per day to recruit business, you are also expected to use your own vehicle to drive to the bank off the clock to make your nightly deposit as well as drop off flyers for sales at grocery stores, parking lots ect and you are still held accountable to meeting monthly metrics, which depending on your store location (I was in a store in a town of 2,200) it can be challenging. I felt like at times I was begging the person to be my customer.

If you are in a 2 rep store, you can expect o have a (working lunch) once a week....somehow I think this is against labor law but who really knows.

Lack of support in marketing the business from Corporate, their theory is that YOU are the walking billboard and YOU are the radio and TV commercials...by this I mean that you are expected to pull out a phone book and make calls to advertise your business....There is not much of a marketng or event budget, we had to buy our own helium to put up balloons because corporate wouldnt allow us to take money out of the cash drawer.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the competition around you and what they make financially....Verizon Corporate Store reps make 40-50k per year....If youre a good sales person, you are going to have options, and If I had to choose between Russell Cellular or a Corporate Verizon location it would have been a no brainer....Look at your benefits packages, they are no where near affordable, but I guess you did your job by offering an unafforable package to me

Russell Cellular Response

Aug 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or the HR department at our corporate office if you have concerns regarding your employment at Russell Cellular. We do ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Russell Cellular

"it was olay"

Former Employee - Sales in Greenville, MS
    Former Employee - Sales in Greenville, MS

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was very nice. Good entry level sales job.

Cons

The pay was terrible. Your pay check depends on the location of your store.

Advice to Management

Increase the base pay. It's below industry standard.

"Poor training, high turnover, little support from company"

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Prudenville, MI
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Prudenville, MI

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full-time employment, base salary just over minimum wage. Nice environment if you like your co-workers.

Cons

New activations are hard to get. Most people in this area go to Walmart for their phones because of price. Was not informed that I'd be expected to make cold calls. Was told that I was expected to market to businesses, but it was often expected before or after my shift began, since I'd be the only employee in the store for hours on end due to high turnover/job vacancies. Often found myself working a 12 hour shift, to give the manager his day off. He would do the same for my day off. It was difficult to retain 3 employees to alleviate the long shifts. Inventory replenishment was beyond our control, and we'd lose customers who wanted the newest phone and wanted it that day. Expected to sell a package that included accessories, even though our selection was poor.

Advice to Management

There should've been a marketing campaign to promote the new stores in the area. There wasn't anything in print or on the radio. It was expected that the sales people to bring in business, using flyers and cold calls. That is not realistic. I was not hired as a marketing professional.

Russell Cellular Response

Aug 23, 2013 – Operations Manager

Dear Former Employee: We encourage you to reach out to your former Regional manager or the HR department at our corporate office in a professional manner if you have concerns regarding your ... More