Rutgers University - Stay away if you are motivated and ambitious. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rutgers University

"Stay away if you are motivated and ambitious."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Rutgers University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

403b match is above industry standard.

Cons

It was disheartening to work at Rutgers. As a young professional, I was motivated to make a positive contribution and to achieve tangible professional growth on my job. I soon realized that it was impossible for a few reasons: 1. Archaic bureaucratic structure that prevents things from getting done. 2. Employees are not trained on proper protocols, thus causing a lot of confusion. 3. Mid-level managers are extremely incompetent. I had two director level supervisors above me, one had no vision and took credit for everything his employees did; the other one was constantly pissed off over nothing and took it out on junior level employees frequently. My workplace was like a war zone, I had to constantly avoid setting off grenades.

The only bright spot was that our department's VP and AVP were amazing, exactly the kind of leadership that you would want for an organization. However, it was hard to tell if they knew what was going on behind the scenes due to their busy schedules. As a result, our department had a high turnover rate, pretty unprecedented for a university with relatively good pay, benefits and job security.

Advice to Management

Retain talent by improving efficiency.

Other Employee Reviews for Rutgers University

1. "Good experience."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Rutgers University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work time balance is good; health benefits is good;

Cons

Not really much to say.

2. "Good place for your last postdoc."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Rutgers University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are here you might end up with a supportive supervisor who understands that not every researcher wants to or is meant to be an academic researcher. You will have the chance to drop of your resume at one of the many companies within driving distance of Piscataway. Make sure you use labrat or biopharmguy as a search tool, do not rely on Indeed.

Cons

Poor infrastructure, bad research funding, work environment can be primitive, e.g. our floor does not even have drinking water, we need to carry it in bottles from another floor. There is no sink to use other than in the restrooms.