Rutgers University - Stay away if you are motivated and ambitious. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rutgers University

"Stay away if you are motivated and ambitious."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Rutgers University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

403b match is above industry standard.

Cons

It was disheartening to work at Rutgers. As a young professional, I was motivated to make a positive contribution and to achieve tangible professional growth on my job. I soon realized that it was impossible for a few reasons: 1. Archaic bureaucratic structure that prevents things from getting done. 2. Employees are not trained on proper protocols, thus causing a lot of confusion. 3. Mid-level managers are extremely incompetent. I had two director level supervisors above me, one had no vision and took credit for everything his employees did; the other one was constantly pissed off over nothing and took it out on junior level employees frequently. My workplace was like a war zone, I had to constantly avoid setting off grenades.

The only bright spot was that our department's VP and AVP were amazing, exactly the kind of leadership that you would want for an organization. However, it was hard to tell if they knew what was going on behind the scenes due to their busy schedules. As a result, our department had a high turnover rate, pretty unprecedented for a university with relatively good pay, benefits and job security.

Advice to Management

Retain talent by improving efficiency.

Other Employee Reviews for Rutgers University

1. "Review"

Pros

Good experience for those looking to work in a lab

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Library Assistant"

I worked at Rutgers University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a graduate student, working in the Art Library was one of my best job experiences. I had the opportunity to work on archival special projects, collection development, circulation and reference. Although the collection focus is art-related, we provided assistance to undergrads in other subject areas as well. It was a great work environment.

Cons

Many of the people I worked with are no longer there, hopefully the new staff are just as pleasant and supportive.