Ryan, LLC - Had high expectations in the beginning... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC

"Had high expectations in the beginning..."

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Work-life flexibility is excellent. The staff (ie- not management) is filled with great personalities that mesh well together.

Cons

Management is constantly playing favorites - this ultimately determines which projects your work on and when you will be promoted (if you're lucky enough)

Advice to Management

Start taking a closer look at your management, not just the revenue they bring in. There are managers who have ZERO interpersonal skills in the firm and this is contributing to employee attrition.

Other Employee Reviews for Ryan, LLC

1. "Ryan provides an atmosphere where you can excel as a professional while balancing happiness in your personal life."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My Ryan allows you to work where you need to. Workplace flexability gives you the ability to succeed as a Mom and a manager.

Cons

We pride on client service evaluations but clients are allowed to leave negative feedback without providing any contact information so we know how we can improve.

2. "Tremendous Growth and Opportunity; CEO is a Visionary"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ryan is a results-oriented firm which has experienced tremendous growth since its inception in 1991. I have been able to move up through the ranks fairly quickly, as my performance is reviewed according to the results I produce and is not based on tenure. This truly allows an individual to take his/her career into their own hands and get rewards commensurate with their contributions. Ryan is a fast-paced and challenging place to work; the environment allows constant opportunity for learning and professional growth. Also, Ryan provides certain benefits, such as free parking, a flexible work environment, and project bonuses, which are uncommon among similar firms and truly a testament to the value that the ownership group places on its employees.

Cons

Expectations are very high at Ryan, sometimes unrealistically so. Additionally, the metric used to measure success is applied uniformly to disparate operations. This can lead to a spirit of defeatism at the management and staff levels, as certain individuals seem to be set up for success and others left to forge their own paths with much less support from the ownership group. Medical benefits are also quite expensive for the value received.

Advice to Management

1) Recognition: Teams who perform at 100% or higher of the myRyan measurement are not recognized. Also, teams who receive perfect client service scores without "sufficient" responders are not recognized. Management could do a better job of saying thank you to the nuts and bolts of the Firm, irrespective of the inevitable "top performers." It sends a message that meeting the Firm's very high expectations is not good enough. 2) Benchmarking: The one-size-fits-all benchmark does not set realistic and attainable goals for many teams within the Firm. Moreover, it undermines a manager's judgment when additional staff is needed to meet clients' needs, but a manager cannot act in a manner that he/she deems appropriate due to forecast/benchmark measurements. I advise that these measurements be revisited, taking into account the differences in practice areas and regional concerns. For example, some teams work primarily in states which allow sampling. In that case, the team will need to review approximately 2,000 sample invoices for a single engagement. In contrast, other teams work in detail review states, requiring them to review 8,000+ invoices for each engagement. When you consider the staff hours needed to complete a review for each team, the detail project will likely take 4 times as long to complete. However, these two teams are treated equally, or expected to produce the same monetary results with the same resources in the same amount of time, in accordance with the current measurement. Additionally, new consultants should be phased in, as their contributions do not become fully meaningful until at least year 2 and training these individuals takes away from the productivity of other employees.