Ryan, LLC - Great | Glassdoor

"Great"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Tax Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The pay is great and management embraces myRyan

Cons

Working in teams can be a hassle sometimes

Advice to Management

Embrace myRyan

Other Employee Reviews for Ryan, LLC

"Honest Review of Consultant Position in Dallas"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to make decent amount of money
    Average starting salary
    Attached to Galleria Mall
    Gave me a chance being my first job out of college
    Got Merit based raise within first 6 months

Cons

Lack of training: 1 week orientation (Snorefest) and 1 week technical skills where they do not teach anything you actually need to learn

SUT is all out of Access Databases that run incredibly slow and constantly crash and lose your work

Felt I could never telecommute

Worked 50 hrs a week every week and was made to feel guilty if I left before 6pm or asked for time off

SUT review consists of looking at hundreds of invoices per day and doing data entry

Benefits are absolutely terrible 25% 401k match (comes 9 months after year end) with terrible high cost poor return fund choices

Expensive but poor quality health insurance

Was expected to be available Mon-Fri 7am-7pm and expected to work on weekends

Incredibly high work load on my team that never ended

Bonuses could be good but minimum 16 months after you start before see first bonus

Work is not mentally stimulating at all a trained monkey could do most of the work

Oh and the great reviews come from people HR hand selects to send evaluations too. They only pick people that absolutely love it to review company. The 95% of depressed drones never get the email to review the company online or take internal surveys.

Brint Ryan is a arrogant self righteous man that has little man syndrome

I got the heck out of here as fast as I could. Word of advice do not work here and if ryan the only job offer you have make sure it is not in the dallas office.

Advice to Management

I would never work in this industry again because of Ryan.

I have switched into an Financial Analyst role. Things I have learned since then:
    I make 20% more than I did with salary + bonus at Ryan working 40 hrs/week
    current company 100% subsidizes my healthcare and provides better insurance
    I get 100% match on 401k offerings matched immediately and a full range of funds
    Coworkers are not depressed drones
    Have work life balance
    Have mentally stimulating work and quicker opportunities for advancement

"Decent firm, Slightly Bizarre Culture"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior management is very involved and genuinely seems interested in employee's success. If you're on a good team it can be rewarding. Really depends on your team.

MyRyan is good if your manager embraces it.

Cons

I found the culture to be very bizarre. The firm is obsessed with winning (seemingly meaningless) awards and people speak of Brint Ryan as if he is God. I'd get a constant barrage of e-mails asking me to fill out surveys for random awards and make contributions to the (quite conservative) Ryan Political Action Committee. Perhaps it is because I came from a very large firm, but the culture just was too weird for me.

Aside from the culture, the only other cons I can think of is that your success really depends on your team and the review/compensation process could be better. If you're on a crappy team, it's not fun. Not all managers are equal and not all managers embrace MyRyan.
    Additionally, the review process is not entirely logical and can hamper your advancement and compensation until the next year. As an aside on compensation, I found Ryan's base salaries to be below market, but there is a high bonus potential. I left the firm for a very comparable position at a comparable firm with significantly higher base pay.

Advice to Management

More consistency in managers/training. Ease up on the awards and other random stuff and let people work. Who cares if Ryan places 3rd in Sheboygan Wisconsin's Best Places to work list? Let employees focus on clients and driving revenue and stop flooding inboxes with this stuff. Base salaries more in line with the market will attract better young talent, not these meaningless awards. It's not like the firm is competing in Forbes or Fortune or anything.