Ryan, LLC - Intern perspective | Glassdoor

"Intern perspective"

Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX
Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility! Even as an intern I was given quite a bit of flexibility throughout my internship. The bonus structure also makes the company quite competitive from the typical CPA firms. They also offer terrific training if you lack skills in programs such as excel and access. Their technical training wasn't very effective in my opinion however. I did accept a full time offer with the company. I do believe this is a great place to start a career if you don't want to do the whole big 4 thing while still doing taxes yet not spending countless hours doing tax returns. You get the opportunity to do a variety of tasks at Ryan which was nice.

Cons

Although the bonus structure is great it takes a good deal of time before you see these bonuses. And as much as I hate to admit, your happiness at Ryan ultimately depends on what team you end up on. Not all managers are created equal and not all managers embrace the flexibility of myRyan. Thankfully, I had a wonderful manager but it is still a drawback of working there. I also couldn't stand how the company micromanages every little detail and requires multiple approvals for even the smallest things. I understand the company wants to effectively allocate their resources but some of these internal procedures are inefficient when you have to wait on management and ownership approval on certain things.

Advice to Management

The flexibility is great but not all managers embrace this. Make sure all managers are following the blueprint set out by the CEO. Also I think at the current rate of growth with the company that some of the internal processes need to change to be more efficient. I also think interns should be entitled to bonuses for their work they contribute to projects as well. Interns are treated the same as first year consultants so I believe the work they spend on projects should be rewarded. Also I think the hourly pay rate needs to be closer to the CPA competitors.

Other Employee Reviews for Ryan, LLC

1. "Ok Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can set your own work hours if your manager approves. Flexible vacation time

Cons

You are expected to work until the job is done, which can vary depending on the project. You do not get a set amount of PTO. You can utilize "myryan" if your manager approves it. Apparently not too many managers approve it because no one is working from home. Basically if you don't have an emergency you will be in the office. Expect to be overworked and overwhelmed.

Bonuses are few in between and expect to be work for a year and a half before you will see a bonus. Depending on your projects bonuses may not be too rewarding and not every project will get you a bonus. Most likely there will be several dead end projects.

There is no training aside from the one week technical training that is irrelevant. Other than that hopefully someone on your team is good at helping you learn the job. Don't expect a warm welcome because majority of people will not even speak. The atmosphere can be strange. A lot of people are walking around pretending to be satisfied but are not happy with their current position. People are consistently quitting or getting fired, especially around promotion time. There is a lot of turnover, expect to have a newly staffed office every year.

Advice to Management

Check in with employees before they leave the firm. Make sure employees are knowledgeable about the bonus structure.

2. "Plenty of freedom, not much money."

Current Employee - Consultant, Property Tax in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Consultant, Property Tax in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom in your work/life balance. Easy to work from home. Work is not monotonous and gives plenty of opportunity to network.

Cons

Salaries are way too low compared to other tax consulting firms, regardless of the fact that the CEO brags about being better than the Big 4.

Advice to Management

Set salaries to attract talent away from the other tax consulting firms rather than paying large finder bonuses for recruiting people from those firms. That makes me feel like you value people fro other companies more than your own employees.