SAIC - The Company's so Varied You Can't Broad-Brush It | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

"The Company's so Varied You Can't Broad-Brush It"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to rotate through a number of interesting positions over the course of a decade. Some really good people. Large number of contracts ensures the company will survive. Great if you're former military. Entrepreneurial bent.

Cons

Going public was a disaster. The culture changed and a lot of long time employees who thought they'd get rich when the company went public endied up losing a lot of money. The company seemed to have more than its share of mini-scandals and there were a number of attractive women in various management positions who'd 'worked' their way up from administrative assistant type positions. It was kind of an open secret and a running joke. One very senior manager was sent packing when his extra-curricular activities were uncovered. A lot of employees that I was around were worked to the bone: a stroke, a massive heart attack and a nervous breakdown all felled people that I worked around because of the unyielding pressure. 2 guys in their early 50s, 1 in his early 40s.

Advice to Management

The capricious exercise of power will lead to the better performers looking for the exits.

Other Employee Reviews for SAIC

"Who do I work for?"

Current Employee - Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- I have a job and bring home a paycheck.
    - Fun people to work with

Cons

- Don't know who my manager is
    - Training/Career development is non-existent -- Don't feel secure about future employment since skills are getting rusty
    - Hard to stay motivated when company doesn't have any expectations for performance other than a body filling a slot that they can bill for

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Make them feel like they are part of the company.

2. "wonderful people and nice perks but very loose and not well structured work environment"

Former Employee - Signal Processing Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Signal Processing Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free coffee/tea, flexible work schedule, workout room, fun team games, nice and friendly people

Cons

retirement plans, lack of communication from management, lack of structured work environment, not a real business focus/mission

Advice to Management

It was an alright experience at SAIC. While I really enjoyed being around wonderful and nice people and nice perks including a company gym to work out, fun team games and flexible work schedule, I just found that it was not the right type of environment for my professional growth and success.

The work environment was quite loose. The work environment is not quite structured. The management team was quite hands off. There was no real communication and coodination from the management team. The management team needs a big improvement in their leadership and communication skills.

The company as a whole doesn't have one true business focus. It's like they are trying to be everything they can be to please their customers with so many different focuses and different business units. That's the downside.