SAIC - Innovative and dedicated, that's what we are all about. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

"Innovative and dedicated, that's what we are all about."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA

Pros

SAIC is an honest ethical employer. From what I have seen in the few years that I have been here, management "walks the talk". The people, atmosphere and accommodations are very nice which makes it a pleasant environment to work in. There is ample parking and the building maintenance is awesome. We have a nice cafeteria with lots of food choices. There are other amenities within the building or very close by (like dry cleaners, convenience stores, etc.).

SAIC provides outstanding technological and scientific solutions for a large diverse customer base and strives to remain responsive to their needs.

Cons

The traffic in the Tyson's Corner area is horrible which makes for a long commute for most people. The lunch venues in the area are also very pricey. Although our cafeteria is nice and has lots of food choices, it is also rather pricey.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary levels, not just for your senior managers and star performers -- but for those average folks who do a good job but may not be in a position to "shine". Every year inflation affects all of us and companies like SAIC that make lots of money and give large bonuses to their top managers should also be able to provide at least a moderate "cost of living" increase to all their employees. Since SAIC went to their new rating system a few years ago, they have gotten rather cheap with the percentage of their increases. In this economy we are all blessed to have jobs, but please don't take advantage of your "back office" people. Remember, we process all the 'stuff' that goes along with those huge money making contracts that the company wins.

Other Employee Reviews for SAIC

1. "Stable not stellar"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

There are opportunities to work on diverse types of projects since they are a contracting company.

Cons

The corporate culture is inconsistent within business units. Promotions, work assignments, additional training are entirely dependent upon who you work for and are not based upon merit nor the needs of the company or client. Also an unwillingness to adopt transparency about information directly concerning employees on a day to day basis. Particularly inequitable in pay for similar positions performing the same job often in cases where a greater level of effort is required.

Advice to Management

Generate a consistent corporate culture which is the same no matter what business unit you work for or with.

"They Showed Me The Door; Not The Way"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Allegedly, the reputation of the company.

Cons

Direct management not taking any interest in guiding new hires. Direct management allowing the customer to call all the shots. Direct management not informing an employee, at any point during the employee's first 6 months of hire that improvements could be made. Direct management not documenting performance issues or improvements. Direct management calling employee to an off-site meeting to dicuss a performance improvement plan, and instead, shutting the door and saying this is a termination, not a review. Never got a review, company policy for new employee never followed in my case. No direct reasons for termination given except "related performance issues".

Being told you job is 'X' but then without warning, being mady to do 'Y', even though it is a task or set of tasks, someone with a much lower salary could perform and save tax payer money. To me, you do not pay a person 60K a year to make powerpoint slides. Each government task has an assigned cost, in my experience, but not here. Here, you are paid for a wage for an alleged job, then you do any jack of all trades task you are given, and you had better smile about it and not ask questions.

Appreciate employees. My biggest mistake was leaving a job where I made 10K less a job per year, but where my portion of health insurance premium cost was 1/10th of what it was at SAIC; where I had perks left and right; where those in charged ensured each employee had the most ergonimcally environment in which to work; and where everything had a definited order, defined responsibility, and the company actually performed employee performance reviews.

An environment that cultivates the delusional belief that perception is reality, and expects others to see the world that way too.

Advice to Management

Ensure all levels of management are accountable for understanding and employing Human Resource employee management policies and procedures. Enusring technical experts can also give direction to those in their charge, not just take direction from those they feel are above them.