SAIC - Highly specialized contractor | Glassdoor

"Highly specialized contractor"

Former Employee - Project Control Analyst
Former Employee - Project Control Analyst

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of diversity of the work; global opportunities; many subject matter experts; good salary, good benefits (before 2013 anyway).

Cons

Grew too big too fast. Now splitting, divesting, lots of layoffs in the restructuring. Upper management has lost sight of base customer expectations. Past ethics issue with a small yet highly visible group has resulted in overboard bureaucracy across the company making project execution difficult and more costly. Too many service centers that force direct personnel to do too much indirect work. Reputation with customers of being too expensive.

Other Employee Reviews for SAIC

"Be Careful of the Company you Keep"

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at SAIC (More than 5 years)

Pros

SAIC was my introduction to the professional work world, and for four and a half good years, I worked with very smart people on some very challenging projects. I gained a lot of experience, and they supported me financially in getting a license required for my career.

Cons

Last year, SAIC announced Project Gemini, which would split the IT services off from, well, basically everything else SAIC does. We were told it was to help SAIC remain competitive, but I have my suspicions that it was done to limit liability from a few well-publicized mistakes. Now, the company never really treated my division and office fairly (i.e.- no holiday parties since 2008 for our division, didn't invite us or even inform us of the existence of a company picnic, small contracts prohibition), but that's when things started to go downhill. I worked in a division slated for BlueCo. Support for proposals and new ventures dried up, and it became harder and harder to maintain billable hours. Our perks, from decent health insurance and performance raises down to tissues in the supply room, evaporated one by one. My project and line manager tried to help out as much as they could, and I still worked with some pretty great people. But when the upper management actively sabotages your side of the company, it's only a matter of time before you can't stand it anymore and leave or get kicked out. And if you get kicked out, well, between the crummy insurance, low job security, nonexistent raises, and a career ladder where you advance by dead mens' shoes... it's probably a blessing.

If you're interviewing with SAIC, be sure you ask which company you're working for. I've never worked for any divisions in WhiteCo, so I can't speak to that. But if you learn that you're working for a division that will be in BlueCo, I would think very carefully about the offer, and the company you'll be keeping.

Advice to Management

If you're going to demand high ethical standards of your employees, you're going to have to behave more ethically toward them.

"Declining value and weak management"

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was proud to be associated with the company when it was an "Employee Owned Company" as it was refreshing to have highly motivated team that cared about the product being produced for the customer and end user. A group of patriots who strived to out perform prior performance.
    Every new group and program was a disappointing step down with management inexperience and myopic perspective and lack of support. Quality was thrown under the bus and a scapegoat for process failure.

Cons

Weak management that allowed the direction to be set and the daily operations to be at the whim of the wind direction of the project management office that had no clue of what the needs of the customer were. The redirection and misdirection consuming hours of effort. The lack of commitment to process, process improvement, and CDRL review by more than the creators was reprehensible. The checks and balances of a quality program with a focus on meeting the date rather than delivering a quality product. The constant bypass of QA and only wanting a check box to achieve and maintain CMMI Maturity Level with no commitment to invest the efforts needed to maintain that assessment. Management that managed by threat and demand. PMs that liked to share stories of present or former employee missteps as casual conversation to intimidate.

Advice to Management

Streamline the management by getting rid of the layers of dead archaic retired in place managers resting on their laurels of past achievements. PMP certs mean nothing if they don't have the strength of character where ethics don't need to be discussed because they are above reproach. The culture breeds the wrong kind of managers. SAIC clamors to become like the NG or LockMartins but they don't recognize the girth those heavyweights have with the toxic work environments and practices that remove the ability to be nimble and responsive. The culture of the military in staying in your lane beats the innovation out of an organization and limits the ability to satisfy the customer by giving them product that exceeds expectations and limits the opportunity to excel.