SAIC - A rapidly changing company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

"A rapidly changing company"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My best reasons for working at SAIC are my colleagues, including my immediate managers. Even when working on separate projects, we help each other out as best as we can. At least in the part of the company where I work, there is an atmosphere of trust, support, and respect. We look out for each other.

Cons

SAIC is the smaller of the two companies resulting from the split of "old SAIC" into SAIC and Leidos on October 1, 2013. A "matrix" reorganization has created annoyances at the working level and may have made us less nimble, not more. The business environment is increasingly constrained. Upper management is looking for all sorts of ways to cut costs, which is imposing burdens on employees. The customers are spending less on contracts, so raises and bonuses are increasingly scarce. (The quality of benefits fell sharply a couple of years ago, before the split, and is holding steady lately.) The company is not committed to anyone who isn't covered full-time -- an unpredictable condition in a time of sequestration and occasional government shutdowns. SAIC no longer offers the opportunities it once did.

Advice to Management

First, you have little to sell but your employees' time, so take care of your employees before those with choices go away. Second, give your organizations the leeway to invest in business development before they run out of work to do. Third, if looking after the interests of shareholders is preventing you from doing either of the above, take the company private as soon as you can.

Other Employee Reviews for SAIC

1. "Best, Better, Good, Average, What's next?"

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good talented people to work with.

Cons

Disappearing health insurance, disappearing 401K, smaller raises, and shrinking or no bonuses are a cause for alarm not only in this company but in this industry. It seems to be a race to see who can get rid of any overhead that benefits employees the fastest. Eventually I will move to a smaller company where many of my co-workers are headed

Advice to Management

"SAIC values its employees" has become a hollow statement and "SAIC needs to cut back to remain competitive" is now the mantra. When the best and brightest end up working for the subcontractors I will join them.

2. "Overall, experienced pleasant mobility within the Contract; with required skills, able to easily advance."

Former Employee - Salaried Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Salaried Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only worked on one Contract for over 10 years. Great atmosphere in the company prior to the split in September 2013. The personnel in our location were awesome; family-like. Some managers helped their employees; communicating news about the way ahead. Training was abundant at the start of the Contract; lesser later on due to budget restraints.

Cons

Top management and some mid-level managers did not keep their personnel informed of items pertaining to the company nor the Contract. Job opportunities used to be ample but not so anymore, due to the company split. Now, only minimul opportunities for those leaving Contracts. The company is only hiring the new generation, it seems.

Advice to Management

Well, due to the splitting of the company, managers were downsized; comapny is still standing up. For future managers, the company motto should be 'we keep our employees informed'.