SAS Institute - Best place to work, ever | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SAS Institute

"Best place to work, ever"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Cary, NC
Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people; laid-back, academic atmosphere. Lots of great perks like a full gym, olympic pool, health and fitness programs, inexpensive great food in the cafeterias, m&m's (and lots of other free food) in the break rooms. Individual offices - cubes are only used for interns and in space emergencies (which are rare).

Cons

There is somewhat of an entitlement attitude among many employees which makes it frustrating if you're actually trying to get work done. There are a lot of political games at the division head level that are annoying to those in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to manage out poor performers. I have seen many people hang on for years or even decades that we'd be better off without.

Other Employee Reviews for SAS Institute

"Best Culture Out There"

Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. You get to work with extremely smart and interesting people every day and everyone smiles at you in the hallway.

35 hour work week.

Great benefits, including gym, no deductable health insurance, dental insurance that pays 100%, free counseling, and a free 3% contribution to 401K.

Everyone gets a (fairly large) office.

The culture affords autonomy; I rarely see my boss unless we are having lunch and the director actually works in another building.

Cons

Supposedly they don't pay at the top of the market. This statement is somewhat hard to swallow however, since I am still trying to rectify how I am actually worth MORE than what they are currently paying me (given how many hours I work).

Also, since everyone stays here forever, it takes a while to make your way up the corporate ladder.

"OK experience - no room to grow at least in Middleton Ma."

Current Employee - Consultant in Middleton, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Middleton, MA

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Better that average benefits. Salaries are ok.

Cons

People who have been at their jobs for 25 years and doing it the same way.
    Any suggestion of change is frowned upon. If the idea is not from Cary, it is not good enough. The customer does not seem to matter much.

New ideas are stiffled or simply not offered as people are afraid of their jobs.
    SAS DOES LAYOFF!!! Just come to the Middleton office.
    Enough of this 35 hours work week. You are paid for 35 hours but you put in a lot more. That is the truth.

Very buddy centric. If you are in HQ (Cary) you can coast and stay forever. If you are remote those rules do not apply.

Advice to Management

Infusion of new blood is needed at the senior management level. In a few years SAS will go the way of the dinosaur!