SCS Engineers - Employee-Owned | Glassdoor

"Employee-Owned"

Former Employee - Amin/Marketing Assistant in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Amin/Marketing Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at SCS Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many companies out there believe all employees should share in the success of the company. This one does. I wish more companies would have the same attitude. They do great work and have a sense of family.

Cons

Hmm...Can't really think of one because overall the benefits were really good. I guess I could complain that they don't pay 100% medical, but again, being employee-owned made up for that.

Other Employee Reviews for SCS Engineers

1. "It was great until recently."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SCS Engineers part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They do not hire and fire quickly. ESOP. Annual bonuses if office maintains at least a 4 percent profit. Lots of flexibility in working from home.

Cons

After 10 years was put on part time. Very top heavy. Very little room for growth. Poor marketing skills. Does not send employees to training very often.

Advice to Management

Look at each individual before making changes to the employee (i.e. full time to part time).

"Lack of Training in my department and in many others."

Former Employee - Somebody Who Needed Training Like the Many Others Before Me in Long Beach, CA

I worked at SCS Engineers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee owned and a great place in theory. Also, each department runs like a separate company. So if you already know your job and have 5 + years under your belt in your exact job duties, then you will love this place. But when you read a review that is great, please know that it is great in that department only and does not speak for any other department.

Cons

Great place for those who started out years ago with the company and who were trained by the founders. Probably the best unit for training is the Landfill section and that area of the building--Julio's unit etc. Clearly they train their people. But there are other departments that have no clue that they need to be accountable for training people. Some are good workers themselves, but clearly are self consumed with their own work and progress, because they have zero clue that they MUST train new workers.

Also, there are several riffs in various sections of the company. There are numerous departments to work for at SCS, and SOME people don't even talk to other departments. Just weird stuff. I truly believe that some of the other units have no idea how screwed up their fellow units are, it's that divisive.

Advice to Management

Do an honest company wide review polling employees about training and areas of improvement they see would be important to address. Find out which units (managers) show weakness. Because when all the old timers retire in the next few years in Long Beach? Who will know what is going on? Not but a few. I can assure you. And it is all because you have incompetent managers who do not know how to train their units to do their job. Period.