SDL - PJM Nightmare | Glassdoor

"PJM Nightmare"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Superior, CO

I worked at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are good people and have a good time and get into the holiday spirit. They do Friday beer socials which is nice if you are ever able to complete your work in order to partake (rarely). They do offer you good benefits including a nice health club membership subsidy.They bring in breakfast burritos on the first Monday of every month and then they bring other food/meals on occasion.

Cons

- Your opinion does not matter. Provide your opinion on how to tackle a project, receive different instructions from manager, client is not happy with deliverable, manager yells at you and says you should have done what you had originally suggested. There is not right answer and you will always be at fault. - Extremely HIGH turnover if you are looking to make a career at a company this place is not for you. There... is also a glass ceiling with little to no room for growth. - Do you value your family and friends? Say goodbye because unless you are working a 60-65 hour work week you will not be valued and are at risk of losing your job. Even when you go above and beyond expectations, your recognition is a $25 gift card and a rubber chicken which is only awarded once per quarter. (no joke) - Do you like to go to lunch on occasion? I hope you brought your invisible cloak to sneak out and a mannequin that resembles you to sit in your chair. Otherwise you are going to get evil looks and questioned of your whereabouts. - Everyone is held to different standards: If you forget to put your cover sheets on your TPS reports be prepared to get singled out in front of your entire team even though the rest of the team didn't put cover sheets on either TPS reports either. - Oh look here comes a bus I may as well just go ahead and jump in front of it: No matter what happens or who is at fault you will always be thrown in front of the bus and your manager will not listen to what you have to say or stick up for you. - "Performance reviews that are based off of your managers biased and fabricated reasons with no evidence to support their reasoning. Given 1 week to improve your performance. 4 Days later: Your manager still doesn't have any proof of poor performance but let you go regardless. .

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging people let them run their projects and when they make mistakes work with them to learn from these and grow. Having a positive attitude rather than a negative attitude goes a long way. This is how a leader grows a good team and foundation not through intimidation and lack of trust. Obviously these were just my opinions of things that either happened to me or I noticed while working here. I know... people who have had similar experiences and observances like my own and other people who have better experiences.

SDL2016-02-24
  1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at SDL part-time for more than a year

Pros

The team is more than willing to help with any problem.

Cons

All positions for software engineering positions were taken.

SDL2019-08-23
  2. "Good Company COULD be Fantastic"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great friendly coworkers, great managers, sometimes limited work, good vacation time and sick days, occasional snacks and lunches.

Cons

- Everyone should be able to work remote whenever wherever and come in when necessary for execs. - Sometimes limited work. - Certain team's work hours and schedules. - Sub par health benefits.

Advice to Management

- Everyone should be able to work remote whenever wherever.

SDL2019-09-11

Discover more reviews about SDL.