SEIU - Great Compnay | Glassdoor

"Great Compnay"

Former Employee - Organizer in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Organizer in Houston, TX

I worked at SEIU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for SEIU. Training provided and an opportunity to advance. Freedom to plan daily activities.

Cons

If you do not like to travel and live in a hotel then this is not the job for you. Must be very persuasive.

Advice to Management

No advice to management except to continue to working on improvements .

Other Employee Reviews for SEIU

"Organizer In Training"

Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, benefits...that's it!

Cons

they treat their workers like scum. Work daily 12-14 hours a day for no apparent reason other than management feeling like the cause will be justified only if we are out on the field for that long. You are disposable to campaigns all across the country for one year only to be laid off in the end. This program is not to advance or train anyone. It's simply a reason for International to pay it's workers 32,000 a year for working 100 hours a week and able to fire them whenever they please. You are on one year probation so they can fire you whenever they want. Not to mention they NEVER follow your contract. You're suppose to get every other weekend off and most times you're called to go in anyway. If you speak up....You are FIRED!!!! Don't waste your time here. Heard AFSCME has a better OIT program. They are everything they fight against. Workers are treated like crap, management makes triple the salary organizers get paid and do absolutely nothing and the O.I.T. program is a their way of exploiting young college grads by paying them less and getting rid of them when they're done with their campaign.

Advice to Management

while I was an O.I.T I met incredibly talented O.I.T's that would have been a valuable asset to the labor movement. When we have to sit in people's living rooms and explain to them the importance of workers right yet we get back to the office and are silenced, it becomes incredibly challenging for most of us and we end up losing the drive. Please just treat your workers right. It would have also been nice to actually learn how to union organize too. Not just go to protests and yell.

"Too much office politics"

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at SEIU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They paid a good salary and benefits were very good.

Cons

Office politics, upper management favors certain people, force employees they don't think fit in out of the organization, forced to work outside regular work hours with no additional pay.