SEIU - Mixed Feelings | Glassdoor

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Lead Organizer in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Lead Organizer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at SEIU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If want to learn organizing, they will ake you better at it.

Cons

Sucking up gets you promoted faster than working hard.
Mucky Mucks run the union- not the members.
Rank and file staff could be treated with respect.

Other Employee Reviews for SEIU

"Lack of common sense, Looking for trouble"

Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Fairfax, VA
    Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SEIU as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, chance to help workers. It's also good to learn about organizing and life from the rank-and-file members.

Cons

I get the feeling I was just brought in temporarily to satisfy a budget requirement. During the initial interview I got the feeling that they didn't even bother to read my resume. They started off talking to me like I was stupid. They asked what my experience with unions was, which is the usual SEIU approach to anyone they don't know. They just assume you're ignorant of the labor movement. Had they looked at my resume they wouldn't need to ask that question.

I was given a one-month Organizer in Training (OIT) position. I was partnered with this guy who did nothing but yell at me and talk to me like I was dumb. He would ask me a bunch of smart-alack questions where I would always be wrong. He kept treating me like I didn't know how to plan ahead or keep my documents in order, as if this isn't something they teach you in middle school. I never received any turf to organize or any important documents to begin with.

Two weeks into the "training," I was told I wasn't going to pass. I had only been there for two weeks and wasn't given a serious chance to prove myself. On the third week I was fired.

When I asked the organizing director about it, she said two weeks is enough to tell if someone has what it takes. However, the employee policy said OITs were supposed to be brought on for six months. The SEIU international policy used to be three months. I was only given one month, and unfairly cut loose after three weeks. Where does this woman get off thinking she knows better than the people who wrote the original policies? Why did they violate their own policies?

The lead organizer told me I wasn't going to pass the training because he is looking for another him. Think about that.

You can't expect trainees to perform on the level of those who have been there for a long time. If you are unable to handle a trainee, don't bring one on. Common sense 101.

When I brought up how I was treated unfairly, they took it as a badge of honor. They think it's acceptable to treat younger staff like dirt because it builds character. This is wrong. SEIU used to invest in training the next generation of organizers, now they hold young people at arm's length and treat us like morons. This is one of the reasons union density is declining in the US, they have no respect for the next generation. Something tells me they don't even care.

Oh, for what it is worth, membership in the local had been on the decline around the time I started. They reported their lowest numbers ever at the one monthly membership meeting I attended. Clearly the organizing "experts" at SEIU aren't as good as they say they are.

Advice to Management

Learn some respect for younger folks, unless, of course, you don't care whether or not SEIU will be around 25 years from now.

"SEIU"

I worked at SEIU full-time

Pros

Money was ok
    I got to see the country
    met long lasting friends
    Help underprivileged workers
    Actually learned alot about myself and others

Cons

They don't practice what they preach
    I was belittled as an employee
    I was also over worked with little time off