SEMCO Energy - Best place to be, if you appreciate Career Stagnation. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SEMCO Energy

"Best place to be, if you appreciate Career Stagnation."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Marysville, MI
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Marysville, MI

I worked at SEMCO Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are numerous "good" people elsewhere in the organization. You can hide from the real world and collect a paycheck. Management does so why not you? Great place to sit and watch the paint dry.

Cons

This is a HIGHLY Risk Adverse organization, So much so you will never use your technical skills. They frown upon innovation. They will not respect you. They will lie to your face. They will give you glowing reviews, yet treat you like the enemy. Very hostile environment. Stay away unless you enjoy working for lying deceitful scumbags. It's like the roach motel, managers check in but never check out.

Advice to Management

Take an Ethics class and stay awake during it. You need it..

Other Employee Reviews for SEMCO Energy

1. "Distribution Mechanic A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at SEMCO Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, alright benefits,

Cons

Management could of done a better job, with their people skills. Training new employees should be done before there even put in the field.

2. "System Administrator"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Marysville, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Marysville, MI

I have been working at SEMCO Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leaving Semco was the best thing that could happen for my career.

Cons

Unethical, good ol boys club, backstabbing, scumbags - these are a few words that come to mind when I think of the IT management at Semco. I've had management alter my time cards, alter my expense reports, and even alter yearly reviews AFTER those documents left my hands, without my notification, and always in the favor of the company!

I was scrutinized and given poor marks in a yearly review for NOT lying to a software vendor about how we used their product - again to better the company's bottom dollar. Essentially violating their license agreements and committing piracy!

Don't expect ANY sort of work/life balance. You are expected to sacrifice everything - nothing matters but the company and it's bottom dollar!

Management would not express any concerns until review time then rake you over the coals about issues you had no idea even existed.

Advice to Management

Pick a standard and hold yourself to it! Also try taking an ethics class.