SHI International - Account Executive/Sales/Order Taker/Whatever | Glassdoor

"Account Executive/Sales/Order Taker/Whatever"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for a frat/sorority type people right out of college using the "buddy-buddy" system to get right back in the same situation like going through 3 month training-style initiation,pointless classroom business games?, and tests that make you feel just like college classroom baby sitting session (you even get your name labeled on seats & 1 minute after being late from lunch you LITERALLY have your name put on the board?). Pro: benefits (but also takes away from the 30k base w/co-pay) Austin,Texas location does heavy recruiting in the frat/sororities because they are the perfect demographic who just fits into a robot style cookie cutter person who will risk doing boring/bad practice work at the promise they can still be accepted within the group/corp culture.

Cons

Where do I begin? First off. Corporate training is seriously for uneducated business people so if you are anything like an experienced BBA in Marketing/Sales/Finance/Accounting/Comp Science etc etc stay the_ F_away from this situation. You will find yourself explaining sales,marketing, cold calling-biz dev and time management to recent grads who go out drinking on Thursdays still ...by Friday afternoon I was looking for another job. The only experience most of the teachers in corp training had were just working for SHI (seriously almost all!!! - example LinkedIn). How can you better yourself if all your teachers have just been working there out of college? They drink the kool-aid ... ..stay at SHI? drink the kool-aid. Generation xerox. Moreover, all of the Austin location has all of their emails sync'd together ahaha lol (getting pointless emails every 5 minutes that are unrelated)makes no sense. One of the corp trainers threaten if you don't color-code your emails (because SHI isn't responsibly ran) ... you get punished .. .. because your emails need to be color coded?? Another classroom frat type of management....that becomes unproductive over time and poorly ran. I seriously answered almost all of the sales questions when the head sales honcho came in and he immediately noticed I wasn't among the business riff-raff constantly being churned through this technology house. So I went on about my tenure there for about 1 1/2 weeks til I told them "latas" which was the best decision I ever made. I know I wanted a career of advancement at least to a manager role (after 2-3 yrs at shi) as opposed to being demoted to an ORDER TAKER for the rest of my career at SHI (noone moves up). As for sales at SHI, knowing all the corp trainers had to go through Account Executive role (none of them stayed in the role) ... it must of been so bad that they were going to find something else in the company because goals are out-of-reach or 3x daily micro mgmt emails sent out of sales figures and names tied to performance for everyone in the org to point fingers.

Advice to Management

-don't treat adults like children in corp training (obvious why they hire young)
-don't micro manage emails sent to the whole org haha then you have people pointing fingers across divisions (unproductive)
-don't make promises/commission plans seem great then turn out unreachable basically you find yourself never making money (other than base) and only taking orders and just reselling
-stay away from the frat mentality (makes your recent grads think this is what having a "real job" is like when I've never seen a corp training class put names of people on the board)
-be more personal with your employees make divisional email selling figures so the division can make repairs not the "head honcho" of sales (he has more important things to do then read about mofo #412 in the org missed quota by 4k
-The company seemed desensitized

Other Employee Reviews for SHI International

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great benefits

Cons

Need to be more flexible with work hours

"Love the culture of HQ"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to start at out of college
    Competitive Salary to start
    Great "extras" - gym, clubs, nurse, free food for vendor trainings, dress down
    Informative training program
    Continually growing

Cons

If you stay too long in your position, it's hard to move on to something else within the company.
    Managers are quick to discipline overloaded workers
    No consistancy between departments
    Only get every other holiday off

Advice to Management

Get a management training program