SRA International - If I had another option for employment, I'd not hesitate | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SRA International

"If I had another option for employment, I'd not hesitate"

Current Employee - Not In Administration
Current Employee - Not In Administration

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supervisors leave me alone to do the work I know how to do without interference.

Cons

Since the former federal contract I was under was rebid and won by SRA, I've lost two weeks of vacation, two holidays, lost any recognition for accomplishments, and have seen my health care costs skyrocket while quote unquote merit increases have been around 2%. This despite my clients outspoken appreciation for my work. In addition to rising health care costs, deductibles have risen, copays have risen, maximum out of pocket has risen. This year alone, SRA announced a one-week reduction in vacation time, drastically cut the leave cap, and eliminated an additional holiday, all as a means to cut costs - while last year the CEO won a $2mil bonus on top of his over $800k salary. It's become obvious that the new owners of SRA - Providence Equity - is rewarding Bill for reducing staff, cutting benefits, and generally doing what he can to make people want to leave. Major players announce their resignation on a regular basis. The best have already left, the rest are trying to. The company morale is the lowest I've ever known it to be.

Corporate structure is top-heavy, with administration getting most of the salary increases, bonuses, and perks. Meanwhile, the "workers in the trenches" like me continue to lose money every year. For example, this year the increases in health and dental insurance are more than twice what I gained in my annual increase - insurance is going up $200 a month, while my increase was $100 a month. Every year I stay I'm falling farther behind, not only in salary but in benefits.

SRA make a lot of noise about being in the "SRA Family" but I know I'm just a name and a number. Opportunities for advancement are nil - not one of the people in my sector have been given any opportunity to advance (there are several dozen of us).

I fully expect another round of benefit cuts and cost reduction measures to be announced within a half year. SRA will continue to do this until all the best people have jumped ship, and the only people left don't have marketable skills. This will make the company even less competitive, which will lead to fewer contracts being won, which will lead to further cost cutting measures, which will lead to the company having mediocre employees who will be glad just to have a job. These mediocre employees will lessen the chance of SRA winning new contracts, which will start the cycle over again - cost cutting, benefit cutting, salary stagnation or reduction, and overall a corporate environment which will discourage the brightest and best from being interested in working with them.

Advice to Management

Pass along profits to people who actually do the work.

Express appreciation for those who do their jobs well and who get good reviews from clients. And no, I don't mean verbal appreciation or some stupid certificate.

When employee benefits are being cut and health care costs are rising, eliminate bonuses for anyone in management.

Fire Bill. Replace him with someone less hypocritical, less political, more honest, and someone who genuinely cares about the company, not just his own financial portfolio.

Other Employee Reviews for SRA International

"Everything was better when SRA was a publicly traded company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Former project manager backed up his people, and managed the customers frequently unreasonable moving target demands. I would say 90% of the customer's changes were not due to operational needs but due to political and career agendas.
    As far as benefits, I they had good medical and vision insurance if you were on the standard plan (the second class plan). Spot bonuses. The people I worked with were extremely dedicated and talented. The wellness programs were very helpful and actually worked. Hours were flexible and telecommuting was allowed.

Cons

New owners are demanding profits before service and destroying the company's time honored mission of Honesty and Service. In order to compete, salaries on some re-compete contracts are being slashed on average 30%. Unfortunately the percentage amount that was slashed depended on who you were.

Benefits slashed as well for those who stayed on for the re-compete contract, as employees were moved to a third class benefit plan. Medical premiums for some more than doubled, which was obscene considering some people lost at least 1/3 of their paycheck. I believe that telecommuting was banned by the new PM after the re-compete contract went into effect.

Environment is toxic to those who have stayed, as verbal confrontations are happening on a regular basis. In the past those were very rare events. Before I left, I had to keep music or some other white noise generator on to keep from hearing what the new PM was saying from inside his office which was quite a bit away from my office. Current project manager does not manage customers expectations at all, and instead is quite willing to launch into verbal tirades against employees for being unable to meet impossible demands with moving targets.

Only those who are willing to go into management positions have any real career advancement opportunities. If you're a person who doesn't care for being a manager but wants to advance technically, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on prepping the company for yet another sale to another company or investment group, focus on your people. After all if it wasn't for them, you would not have a business. The founder before the sale understood that. Walk the walk, don't just talk.

"The ship is sinking... and Bauhaus is plugging the holes with dynamite!"

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be a very good corporate environment, prior to taking the company private that is.

Cons

If your looking at working for this company, I suggest you keep looking...

It's pretty bad when going back to Iraq seems like a better option. The company has all kinds of opportunity to capture work, however the capture team is horribly incompetent. I think its even more disappointing to have seen the company in good times, and now in bad times.

401k cut this year was ridiculous. Making the 401k only match if your with the company for the full year. So an employee starts on the 15th of January and doesn't qualify for 401k matching for the year, ridiculous. Worse is those that have been with the company for the full year, don't get their matching until next year, and it doesn't compound which defeats the purpose of a 401k entirely. They should take it off the benefits list.

Advice to Management

Hey Bill, I hear McDonalds is hiring!!! Seriously though, all these cuts are to make us "competitive" yet we can't capture any significant wins. We understand the management focus, strip the company down to bare bones and then sell it off at a premium. However all the good employees are leaving so what are you really selling but an empty shell.

One last thing,