SRA International - Used to be a wonderfully employee-focused company, less so now | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SRA International

"Used to be a wonderfully employee-focused company, less so now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for training - online (SkillPort), WebEx, SRA University, Books 24x7. SRA's Capabilities Centers and Communities of Practice give opportunities to learn about new technologies and network with people in far-flung parts of the company.
SRA is serious about doing *useful* performance appraisals to really help the employee improve and grow, not just to check a box to say it's done.
No one can say the company is in a rut when it comes to trying new approaches to strengthen the business and the leadership.
SRA dealt with the effects of the Oct. 2013 government shutdown much better than many competitor companies.
The people I work with are smart, collaborative, hard-working, and focused on doing what's best for our customer. I'm proud and happy to work with them.

Cons

Senior management's decisions over the past 18-24 months to reduce benefits, reorganize the company, and lay off people in certain areas, all in the name of making the company more competitive, have hurt morale and caused some excellent people to leave the company.

Advice to Management

When Bill Ballhaus first joined SRA as CEO, I was very impressed with his willingness to answer questions during his quarterly "town hall" employee meetings, and his commitment to being transparent about senior management's decisions and directions for the company. But the latest round of upper management layoffs in December 2013 was done with no context and no explanation beyond "consolidation," and many people are very upset about it.

Bring back the transparency.
Explicitly connect the dots for the rest of us, to demonstrate how your decisions to make SRA more competitive and to invest in people dedicated to growth/business development have benefited the company through new and re-competed contracts.

Other Employee Reviews for SRA International

"Not as great as they once were."

I have been working at SRA International full-time

Pros

They do business with the government and military so they do tend to have many positions available. Positions that are available are close to where I live.

Cons

Since they were bought out by a holding company, they've become less and less about their people and more about the bottom line. I keep hearing how great pay and benefits once were, but that is definitely not the case now. Pay is on the low-end and, they've cut back to six holidays a year and changed the 401k plan so that they won't add anything to matching until the end of the year...if you leave, you lose. When problems were brought up to local corporate office they were largely ignored and management essentially told employees that they were ungrateful.

Advice to Management

Show some compasion. I understand having to tell folks that certain industries are going through rough times, but to say things like "this is the way it is, take or go work for someone else where you'll probably see a pay drop" is not the way to tell people.

2. "I have been very satified working for SRA. However, times are a'changin."

Pros

History of taking care of their people and providing the customer with talented, honest and ethical workers.

Cons

Very focused on IT work. Other segments are falling by the wayside. Management has been forced to cut benefits which has been disappointing.

Advice to Management

Get back to providing quality proposals for not only IT work, but other work as well.