SRA International - The longer I stayed the worse it got. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SRA International

"The longer I stayed the worse it got."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time

Pros

Depending on the team the dress code can be vary casual and there can be a lot of flexibility in hours.

Cons

Every time I turn around they are decreasing our benefits. Prices for healthcare go up every single year, they changed the amount of time you have to be there to get an extra week of vacation by adding another two years for that extra week (used to be three, now it's five), I've been there for 5 years and earned a TS clearance and don't even make $5k more than when I started. The last two years they've taken away a holiday each year. We used to have offices until they took those away and they made it an 'open floorplan.' Only everyone hates it so people are hardly ever there and telecommute instead, so they are saving even more money. They don't provide any in-home support for telecommuters whatsoever.

Absolutely no room to move up. I don't know a single person who started in one role and is now in another role. Increased responsibilities DO NOT come with increased pay whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Care about the happiness of your employees a little bit.

Other Employee Reviews for SRA International

1. "Used to be a wonderfully employee-focused company, less so now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for training - online (SkillPort), WebEx, SRA University, Books 24x7. SRA's Capabilities Centers and Communities of Practice give opportunities to learn about new technologies and network with people in far-flung parts of the company.
    SRA is serious about doing *useful* performance appraisals to really help the employee improve and grow, not just to check a box to say it's done.
    No one can say the company is in a rut when it comes to trying new approaches to strengthen the business and the leadership.
    SRA dealt with the effects of the Oct. 2013 government shutdown much better than many competitor companies.
    The people I work with are smart, collaborative, hard-working, and focused on doing what's best for our customer. I'm proud and happy to work with them.

Cons

Senior management's decisions over the past 18-24 months to reduce benefits, reorganize the company, and lay off people in certain areas, all in the name of making the company more competitive, have hurt morale and caused some excellent people to leave the company.

Advice to Management

When Bill Ballhaus first joined SRA as CEO, I was very impressed with his willingness to answer questions during his quarterly "town hall" employee meetings, and his commitment to being transparent about senior management's decisions and directions for the company. But the latest round of upper management layoffs in December 2013 was done with no context and no explanation beyond "consolidation," and many people are very upset about it.

Bring back the transparency.
    Explicitly connect the dots for the rest of us, to demonstrate how your decisions to make SRA more competitive and to invest in people dedicated to growth/business development have benefited the company through new and re-competed contracts.

"A tech company of mediocre talent and wandering leadership."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

SRA has contracts in a wide range of government agencies. They tend to be a company that does value honesty and service.

Cons

SRA has poor leadership that is focused solely on financial performance. The CEO tends to talk the talk, but when decisions are made it always comes down on the side of financials. The benefits package continues to decline. Each time management says this is the last cut another cut comes along a couple of months later. SRA is a low-end IT shop for the most part rather than a company that looks for hard challenges. The biz dev lacks focus, it's more along the lines of try to go after every opportunity regardless of whether we have the expertise or not.

Advice to Management

Return to the roots of what Ernst created the company for.