SSAB - SSAB Production Operator Primary End Montpelier, Iowa | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SSAB

"SSAB Production Operator Primary End Montpelier, Iowa"

Former Employee - Production Operator in Montpelier, IA
Former Employee - Production Operator in Montpelier, IA

I worked at SSAB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financial Compensation, Health and Medical Benefits

Cons

The Employee is very restricted in regards to upward mobility and professional growth. The Management is untrustworthy and abusive. The Workforce is intimidated and submissive. The Management Style and the Hiring Practices are discriminative and nepotistic. I wasted ten plus years here only to get older, nothing more.

Advice to Management

Here’s my advice. If you want the company to grow, you must allow growth within the workforce. Allow employees to move up and encourage a professional development plan. Introduce a qualification strategy for the employee to obtain higher income or higher positions of responsibility. Give the workforce personal feedback. Don't hire your relatives, it is called nepotism! Treat all employees with respect, don’t bully them into submission. Trust the workforce. Promote and hire actual supervisors not (relatives or favorites), so if a conflict arises it can be handled properly and without discrimination. Just because the company pays well does not mean the management can be abrasive and abusive to the workforce. After ten plus years I left and found better working conditions.

Other Employee Reviews for SSAB

1. "Hire contractors fire contractors"

Former Employee - Contractor in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Contractor in Lisle, IL

Pros

Most of the people are professional and nice. In Lisle it's a quality building and good environment

Cons

The IT department is a chop shop revolving door. Beware of promises of longevity many contractors are hired then fired within weeks. Massive turnover.
    Terrible architectural design laws enforced in IT. If you must work with this architecture it is a nightmare to orchestrate. They use Novell and Groupwise. They use personality tests to heavily measure your IQ and competence for employment.

Advice to Management

Understand that information and experience is important and try to retain employees.

2. "Safety and Environmental Managers/Directors"

Former Employee - Safety & Environmental Assistant in Stockholm, Jämtland (Sweden)

I worked at SSAB (Less than a year)

Pros

Liked the people I worked with, very helpful since I was new to the company. In that position I had the opportunity to learn new things that I think will be beneficial for me.

Cons

I believe lack of communication and the time frame in completing your every day task with other assignments are a little unrealistic at times.