SSE - Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SSE

"Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears"

Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

Cons

The software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Advice to Management

Use the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

Other Employee Reviews for SSE

1. "Work hard and you can go far"

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

Cons

Too many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Advice to Management

Contractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

2. "it's a great company"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Treat their customers like family, do there very best for each customer and are passionate about what they do

Cons

keep giving training to all staff to become multi=skilled in each department

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing