SSE - Scottish and Southern Energy - How do I get a job there ? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SSE

"Scottish and Southern Energy - How do I get a job there ?"

Current Employee - Engineer in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
Current Employee - Engineer in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Very enjoyble work environment. Opportunities for those who want them and work for them, regardless of qualifications or background. Potential job for life. Senior management see employees as their most valuable asset and treat them as such. Sharesaves and SIPS a fantastic benefit. Seen by outsiders as a "great place to work". Proud to tell people I work for Scottish and Southern Energy.

Cons

A bit too much red tape in areas when you just want to get something done, although they are addressing this and other issues in staff workshops.

Advice to Management

Never forget how important the staff are to the business.

Other Employee Reviews for SSE

1. "Telesales"

I worked at SSE full-time

Pros

Good culture, grounding for sales and future career

Cons

Difficult job and high turnover but no more than other companies

"Structured environment, not really that creative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

An okay place to work. I do not feel micro-managed or hen-pecked as I have at other places. You need to be self-taught or self sufficient in finding answers to your own questions, because no training or hand-holding is supplied, but this gives me an odd feeling of independence even though I have no real decision-making role. Socially, the group is racially mixed but uniquely singular in political-cultural-religious bias.

Cons

More of a job and not so much a career, no course for advancement. Filled with former military types so civilians are somewhat challenged to fit this culture. Not really creative, more structured. Not a brilliant place to build a future but suits for steady pay. Thinking out of the box is okay, but do not push it too much or you will seen as one who challenges the system or brushes up against authority. And the authoritative military types do not like to be challenged!

Advice to Management

Directives or goals are not stated clearly, with little communication or direction for action items. Often I feel left not knowing what to do or what action to take, and many others that I ask for help seem equally uninformed (or unwilling) to provide solid direction. Even the so-called corporate types are hesitant to state a fact as fact. A little too open-ended, with uncertainty about what prevails. Bits and pieces of direction are scattered loosely through styles or document updates with no coherent, one-stop source. Creates confusion and uncertainty, hesitancy about appropriate actions to take. More should be done to train the managers to train the staff. Better outcomes require better direction, but the group seems focused on a hanging deadline as the reachable fruit, instead of building a well trained staff.