SSPR - Toxic Work Environment...Run | Glassdoor

"Toxic Work Environment...Run"

I have been working at SSPR

Pros

-Flexible Work Schedule -401K -Generous Paid Time Off

Cons

Where to start. Since the passing of the Great Steve Simon (founder/CEO) management has managed to drive out nearly half of its employees. The turn-over rate at SSPR is now astronomical, and there is a ton of talk but not enough doing. Executive team feels inferior to the rest of the company. Pay is an absolute joke and slap in the face for the vast majority of us. There is no room for growth, very little... opportunity for raises, and the overall atmosphere is downright negative. Employees who had been loyal to the company for decades were fired, so they could be replaced with family and friends.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect. Ask yourself if it was really the best idea to hire friends and family in the CO office. Was it so you could feel superior to other offices? HR needs to indeed keep things confidential. Often times people are afraid to go to HR due to the ramifications of HR being friends with the CEO. Stop throwing a million changes at us all at once. SLOW DOWN. Your employees are NOT happy,... (hence the turn-over rate) so listen to them instead of focusing on yourselves and petty changes.

SSPR2016-06-14

SSPR Response

June 23, 2016HR Director

Heather here: Your feedback is extremely important to me and I really appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns. I would like to begin by addressing the hiring of ‘friends and family.’ Any new CEO, such as myself, will want to populate their leadership team with those they trust and know full-well will bring this company to a prosperity we all know it can achieve. I have leveraged close relationships with experts in their respective fields to hire talent that otherwise would not be available to a company of our size or budget. It goes without saying that no employee was terminated in an effort to bring in these few experienced individuals. In its nearly 38-year history, S&S (by its previous company name) never employed a certified HR specialist, a seasoned sales expert, nor a specialized operations executive. These three individuals alone carry nearly 60 years combined experienced in their respective fields and address clear needs within our organization. This aside, your point is well taken. It’s clear we lack trust. You don't believe what I am doing is in the best interest of the company and that’s on me to repair that perception. I need to earn your trust, and I understand that isn't going to happen overnight. A CEO and leadership transition is hard on everyone, especially those they lead. I hope I am able to properly articulate every staffing addition made at this company is done so in the best interest of this company. It’s worth noting, we have 7 executives strategically placed across 4 of our 5 offices to make us accessible. It does not go unnoticed that your valuable feedback is showing me we must do a better job explaining the strategic roles of these new core executive functions. I made assumptions around what the team understood about business organization and structure and we will do a better job articulating this to everyone. You are absolutely right; we do need to slow down. I am excited to realize my vision for SSPR, and have had to make a number changes—many of which I couldn’t anticipate when this journey began a year ago. However, I understand this excitement can bring a sense of inundation. The executive team is working to stabilize big changes while continuing to move the company forward. It is a tough balance. Through constructive feedback like yours we can continue to make progress. Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to get a lot of hands-on experience"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, people / coworkers are empowering and motivating, incredible female CEO and executive leadership team, ability to carve your own path. Incredible experience level - get more hands-on experience than at other agencies, get to interact directly with clients from the beginning. Great client base. Strong company culture, fun cross-office activities, great amount of annual PTO

Cons

Hiring large bursts of employees at the same results in lots of training required from other team members and results in decreased bandwidth for other account work

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent as that is appreciated by all employees

SSPR2018-11-08
  2. "Account Executive"

I worked at SSPR full-time

Pros

Good benefits, fun coworkers, catered lunches several times a week.

Cons

Stretched too thin, heavy turnaround.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to accounts your employees actually like and would excel in.

SSPR2018-10-09

Discover more reviews about SSPR.