SUPERVALU - Good Things are Around the Corner at SuperValu...And They TRULY Are! (Jewel-Osco) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SUPERVALU

"Good Things are Around the Corner at SuperValu...And They TRULY Are! (Jewel-Osco)"

Current Employee - Osco-Drug Supervisor in Woodridge, IL
Current Employee - Osco-Drug Supervisor in Woodridge, IL

Pros

SuperValu tries hard to recognize those who excel within the Company, while at the same time congratulating every person on his or her individual merit. They succeed in finding new and interesting ways to make everyone feel like a family, and their zero tolerance policy for misbehavior/misconduct ensures that each employee walks into work each day feeling good about working with the Company. Does it work all the time, every second? No. The continuity comes from each associate to make the weakest link become the strongest, and SuperValu helps each person realize that potential.

Cons

I work especially hard at my job, but for the level of skill one obtains and professional quality one absorbs, it still will not gain one a high-earning salary if it's not coupled with a bachelor's degree or higher. The Compay is always willing to promote within, yet their salaries do not offer all that much at store level. One has to enter the Corporate sector in order to gain that level of earning power.

Then again, money doesn't buy happiness or peace of mind, so, money issues aside, there are no other significant downsides of working for SuperValu.

Advice to Management

We need to RECOGNIZE ASSOCIATES more often! Not in a BIG way. In small, incremental ways. The kind that slowly, but surely boost an associate to full working potential. I receive much "congratulations" on my own work, but many of my colleages complain of feeling under-appreciated. That's not fair, and while I give them my appreciation, it's not the same if it doesn't come from the "higher-ups." I'm simply a supervisor. Hearing a sincere, and prompt "GREAT JOB" is worth more than some might think to a fellow colleage (and in my world, we're ALL fellow colleagues!).

Other Employee Reviews for SUPERVALU

"Supervalu = Micromanagers"

Current Employee - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Location, and they're actually hiring in certain departments. The free samples and United Way sales help to save money on your grocery bill. Hourly people also are allowed to get overtime pay, which helps.

Cons

Micromanagement, micromanagement, micromanagement! That about sums it up.

Supervalu can be highly demanding. If you work there during a busy period, expect to put in some OT. On the bright side, if you're hourly, you'll get paid for it.

The dress code is a tad strict, even on casual days.

Advice to Management

Please stop micromanaging us! I know I'm not the only one there who is sick of it. And loosen up on the dress code on Fridays, please.

"Can you say outsourcing?"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst II in West Bridgewater, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst II in West Bridgewater, MA

Pros

All in all, the people who worked for SuperValu / Shaws Supermarkets were a great bunch. Very helpful and team orientated. However, senior management was mostly out of touch with the IT employees and the Shaws banner in general. For me at least the company was local and the pay and benefits were decent.

Cons

They are sending many IT Support jobs off shore thereby alienating the customers we support. From what I hear support is seriously in decline. In many cases I've been told that a first call back may take several hours, and then several mores hours until the problem is rectified.

Advice to Management

To please keep the jobs in the USA!