SYKES - Good Company, Bad Client | Glassdoor

"Good Company, Bad Client"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ontario, CA

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sykes is contracted by other companies to provide customer service to their customers. I was employed by Sykes working as a tech support agent for a major cable company. Sykes itself was good, I have no complaints about their company or my treatment while I worked there. You just have to be good with customer service and okay with repeating the same phrases over and over when you take calls. Definitely need to be computer literate if you are telecommuting as well.

Cons

However, the cable company I worked for that was the client of Sykes did not end up being a good place to work. They provided excellent training, but often when I was speaking with a customer to fix their problem there would be some sort of issue that prevented me from being able to do so, and I would have to take the flack from the customer. It was extremely awkward and unpleasant at times. For example, a customer would complain that their technician didn't show up for their appointment and all you could do was offer another appointment, to which the customer would say "well what if they don't show up again?" and the only answer you could offer was "then call back and book another one"... not easy to end that call. Their technical and customer service systems/tools would often go down too, which made it extremely difficult to do your job, and again you were left apologizing to customers on behalf of their company. I expected to be apologizing for the issues they were calling in for, but instead apologizing and try to correct for the company's lack of organization or efficiency became the main job. With all that said, I'm sure my experience was very specific to that particular client, and my experience with Sykes itself was completely fine. Definitely worth a try to see if it is right for you, as telecommuting can be very convenient for your lifestyle.

SYKES2019-08-28
  1. "Sykes company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

It had great supervisors that helped so much when problems arise.

Cons

Some tech problems with programs.

SYKES2020-02-21
  2. "Flexible"

Current Employee - General Clerk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can work remotely at home.

Cons

Office is almost empty when you do go in

SYKES2020-02-27

Discover more reviews about SYKES.