Employee Review

1. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

NOT A SCAM BUT REQUIRES PATIENCE READ FIRST!

Apr 17, 2014 - Customer Care Professional (CCP) in Aiken, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for Sykes/Alpine for six months. This is a real work at home job with a base hourly rate of about $9-$9.50 per hour. It is real paycheck with taxes taken out and everything. It is not a scam but you will likely run into many compatibility issues with your laptop or computer working from home that make it difficult to stay connected and the company will not reimburse you for tech time. If hired I strongly suggest EVERY SINGLE MORNING BEFORE YOU START UP to clear cookies, history etc, and to go in and disable ALL accelerators. This is a must and will help tremendously. I also learned to re-install JAVA every single day before start up. Otherwise you will have many tech issues and support representatives will insist it is your internet service when you know all other employees are having the same issues. In fairness however, Skyes/Alpine offers real income opportunity if you go in knowing all well that you will only work 35 of 40 hours because the remainder of time will be spent rebooting. You also must know ahead of time that no matter what they say about your internet connection it IS ABSOLUTELY NOT YOUR COMPUTER OR INTERNET SO DONT DRIVE YOURSELF NUTS AND STRESS LIKE I DID. IT IS ABSOLUTELY ALMOST 100% ALPINES SERVER IN COLORADO. I had new lines installed, phones etc and still had issues with a new PC, reviews on end on the web will support my findings. If you are offered opportunity to work for Sykes it is a great opportunity, however you must go in knowing that you are basically on your own. The more you complain about tech time and spend hours on end calling tech support to no avail you could reboot faster and it will probably work fine. If hired, you have to just sign in do your work, handle what you can and transfer what you can not, if your system freezes, don't waste time reporting tech time etc, just reboot as fast as you can an go on about your workschedule. This will get you easily 35 hours in. I wish I still worked for them. My daughter was hospitalized for 3 months and I had to resign and can not get back on good graces.

Cons

Work schedule is set in stone. You will have to work every single weekend at least one day with no exceptions, and you will work all holidays including Christmas, if Sykes is open you are working. Upper management will advise you that you can apply for schedule change after six months. You can apply but it will likely not happen and whatever program you agree to sign up for American Express, Lowes, Sprint, Ambercrombie, 1-800 flowers, etc, expect to be stuck in it indefinitely. They do not like program changes, understandable because they have paid to train you and need you on the phones. Otherwise, choose the right job and shift that works for you and it is an OK job that provides a steady income. Employees are paid bi-weekly. Be aware, you will be mostly training yourself and your own technical support. There are some really great team leads and of course with any business there are team leads that suck as well. Help is available but it is timely and keeps you off the phone not getting paid. REBOOT and try again!

Continue reading
    98 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Excellent

May 13, 2022 - Quality Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, growth opportunities and development

Cons

Salaries not aligned to market

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Work from home

May 13, 2022 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great training work from home very nice ppl

Cons

Schedule was hard to work with

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about SYKES.