Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services - Rewarding work, High Stress | Glassdoor

"Rewarding work, High Stress"

Human Services Social Worker in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services

Pros

Reasonable compensation relative to other employers within the field. Challenging work. Supportive peers. Potential for a decent work-life balance (relative to the private sector). Good benefits- specifically, health benefits, vac/holiday/sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, some educational reimbursement, flexible schedules. Feedback about job performance, and recognition for effective job performance, is... good. There are definitely opportunities for advancement and/or a change in career path- opportunities exist both vertically and horizontally. Job security is very good, as is the opportunity to supplement base pay via overtime, depending on the division/program.

Cons

Department is underfunded by state government, creating a situation where workloads are often unmanageable. Ultimately, senior management seems to exacerbate the situation by instituting policies that add to the workload without providing adequate corresponding support. The situation creates significant turnover and dysfunction. The work is stressful by nature; however, the overall dysfunction adds to the stress,... which is unacceptable to many and creates a low morale among those who remain.

Advice to Management

When feasible, implement feedback from junior management and supervisors regarding the impact various policies have on workload and the ability to adequately deliver services. Doing so would greatly improve employee retention, morale, and effectiveness.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2008-12-07

Other Employee Reviews

"Very good to work for"

Current Employee - Home Health Care Provider in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are very sweet and it is good to make them feel like someone does care. The elderly love the idea that they get to stay in there own home and get the help they need.

Cons

nothing really to say. Im satisfied. I love my job and wish I was able to make everyone happy and able to stay in there own home as long as they are able to but there is only one of me.

Advice to Management

More hours and maybe some vacation time. And big raises, but everyone wants that. So I am a happy employee.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2014-10-05
  2. "Human Services Specialist"

Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This employer gives everyone who works there reasonable opportunity to grow and evolve.

Cons

My biggest issue is when it comes to raises, it seems that negotiations usually favor management and the county and not always the employees.

Advice to Management

I would say to listen to employees as individuals and really look at what we do.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2018-07-25

Discover more reviews about Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services.