Safeway - Good company, promote from within, help with school, health and welfare a plus... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Good company, promote from within, help with school, health and welfare a plus..."

Current Employee - Warehouse/Wkr in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Warehouse/Wkr in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Keeps within industry pay and benefits. Health and welfare through unions are A++. Company pays for those benefits and promotions are for all qualified personnel. Upper management seems to predict future industry moves and is quick to adapt.

Cons

Same as most large corporations, cliquey groups and some drama, but the higher the pay, the less turnover.

Advice to Management

Go back to profit sharing and automate classiness among workers.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Safeway.com management are idiots"

Former Employee - Home Delivery Driver in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Home Delivery Driver in San Jose, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of your fellow employees are cool and you get to meet a lot of interesting people.

Cons

Management generally shows a severe lack of intelligence in their decision making. It is obvious that they don't have anything above a high school education because they can't make an intelligent decision to save their lives.

Lack of honesty and communication runs rampant. My manager would say she's going to do one thing and then do something completely different. I guess that's what happens when you put a butcher and a produce clerk in positions they clearly aren't qualified to handle.

No work life balance. For a while, they thought 6 day work weeks with that one day off changing were cool. So you might have Tuesday off one week, and your next day off won't be until Friday of next week. I contacted HR about this, and her response was that this is normal. I asked if she and the rest of those in corporate work 6 day work weeks, her response "no, but sometimes my phone goes off and I have to come in." Poor thing.

They talk to drivers like they're idiots. Granted, some are idiots. But I'm college educated, I have a degree, I'm a pretty smart guy. Don't talk to me or treat me like I'm an idiot. Especially when I know I'm smarter than you and can do your job better than you. No chance for advancement. The worst.

Just dumb people. I'm amazed that it has stayed in business this long. I hope Walmart destroys them. I'm so glad to be out and doing something worthwhile. Wasted 5+ years of my life there.

Advice to Management

None, not like they would listen. I was just a stoopid driver who don't anything.

2. "Who needs a brain anymore??"

Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard to get fired, Guaranteed breaks

Cons

Too much micromanaging. Customer Service standards are unrealistic and management is beyond a joke.

Advice to Management

Try working a day on the sales floor for once. Stop micromanaging every detail. Hour cuts are continious.