Safeway - Don't do it | Glassdoor

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Williams, AZ
Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Williams, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has a high salary but the work is still more than the pay is worth. I love being a Technician but I am not treated with the respect I deserve from my current company.

Cons

It is extremely draining, there is always way more work to do than can be done and even when you are doing your best it just doesn't seem to be enough in a rural area.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. "Confused"

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a Tom Thumb
    *Pretty laid back environment some days
    *Good hours
    *Good training program for cashiers
    *Easy to advance up ladder

Cons

*The store manager I had seemed to think he was a great guy, but make sure if you are asking for time off for more than 2 days to write a written note to the manager and one other person, because otherwise they will pretend you quit?

"A little worse than what you'd expect"

Former Employee - Cashier in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Daly City, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Okay job for someone who doesn't have experience, who is going to school, or just needs a part time job to pay the bills.
    Schedule is very flexible.
    Decent benefits.
    Decent job security.
    Union job (not as useful as it sounds, but barely useful union is better than no union at all).
    Cool coworkers.

Cons

The pay is bad, but that should be expected since this is an entry level retail job. Likewise, the obnoxious, self-righteous, self-entitled jerks who are the customers are more or less what you'd expect, though in poorer communities they really do push it to the breaking point. None of that is necessarily the company's fault, but the reason this company and this job get such a low rating is entirely their fault. I've worked at seven different Safeways, and all of them have suffered from management that has no intention of helping or even providing basic support for their staff. I have personally overheard managers deny worker's requests for time off, even if it is only a few hours or an afternoon, just to show them who is boss (one manager said it was to show us that he had an "iron fist"). From trying to screw employees on hours they desperately need to ignoring threats made against others, it only gets worse and worse. You expect a certain level of corporate apathy and disregard for worker's concerns, but Safeway takes it to a level of contempt that actually impacts their sales, and they still don't care.

Advice to Management

Start treating your workers like they're people instead of animals. Happy workers are more likely to make customers happy, and the poor choice in management material coupled with the culture of contempt that is bred within your stores literally helps no one.