Safeway - Good place to start | Glassdoor

"Good place to start"

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you have great co-workers to work with & you make connections

Cons

Upper management is insensitive, and does not consider what employees go through from day to day.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"If you like doing the work of 5 people then this is the job for you!"

Former Employee - Head Clerk/GM Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Head Clerk/GM Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You meet so many people , and the longer your there the more you connect with your customers. Best part of my job was my customers!!

Cons

Well unless you like to kiss butt and do the jobs of 5 people and still get told your not doing enough. I held two Management positions: Head Clerk and GM Manager. No communication between any management and to talk to anyone above store level managers is impossible because you will never be "good" enough to talk to them.

Advice to Management

You really need to stand behind your Management people instead of firing them for things that are meaningless to this Corparation. Either that or make sure your "Policies and Procedures" are the same in every store you own.

2. "Good job while in school, if that."

Former Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After 2-3 years, you start getting seniority and do not have to work the closing shifts. If you are in a store with a high turnover, you may even be lucky to choose a few of your shifts.

Cons

Management absolutely does not care about you. To them, you are just a number and they will treat you how ever they deem necessary to achieve results. I understand a company needs to be profitable, but not at the expense of a horrible morale. The policies are so meaningless seing as half the people follow them and the other half don't. The pay sucks, seeing as it took me seven years to only get $11.50 an hour. You top out at $12 and change and after that you are done moving up..

Advice to Management

Treat your cashiers with respect. Front End is supposedly the most important area of the store because it leaves a lasting impression? Prove that it means something by being kind to your front end.