Safeway - Good job while in school, if that. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Good job while in school, if that."

Former Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After 2-3 years, you start getting seniority and do not have to work the closing shifts. If you are in a store with a high turnover, you may even be lucky to choose a few of your shifts.

Cons

Management absolutely does not care about you. To them, you are just a number and they will treat you how ever they deem necessary to achieve results. I understand a company needs to be profitable, but not at the expense of a horrible morale. The policies are so meaningless seing as half the people follow them and the other half don't. The pay sucks, seeing as it took me seven years to only get $11.50 an hour. You top out at $12 and change and after that you are done moving up..

Advice to Management

Treat your cashiers with respect. Front End is supposedly the most important area of the store because it leaves a lasting impression? Prove that it means something by being kind to your front end.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Williams, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Williams, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has a high salary but the work is still more than the pay is worth. I love being a Technician but I am not treated with the respect I deserve from my current company.

Cons

It is extremely draining, there is always way more work to do than can be done and even when you are doing your best it just doesn't seem to be enough in a rural area.

"A little worse than what you'd expect"

Former Employee - Cashier in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Daly City, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Okay job for someone who doesn't have experience, who is going to school, or just needs a part time job to pay the bills.
    Schedule is very flexible.
    Decent benefits.
    Decent job security.
    Union job (not as useful as it sounds, but barely useful union is better than no union at all).
    Cool coworkers.

Cons

The pay is bad, but that should be expected since this is an entry level retail job. Likewise, the obnoxious, self-righteous, self-entitled jerks who are the customers are more or less what you'd expect, though in poorer communities they really do push it to the breaking point. None of that is necessarily the company's fault, but the reason this company and this job get such a low rating is entirely their fault. I've worked at seven different Safeways, and all of them have suffered from management that has no intention of helping or even providing basic support for their staff. I have personally overheard managers deny worker's requests for time off, even if it is only a few hours or an afternoon, just to show them who is boss (one manager said it was to show us that he had an "iron fist"). From trying to screw employees on hours they desperately need to ignoring threats made against others, it only gets worse and worse. You expect a certain level of corporate apathy and disregard for worker's concerns, but Safeway takes it to a level of contempt that actually impacts their sales, and they still don't care.

Advice to Management

Start treating your workers like they're people instead of animals. Happy workers are more likely to make customers happy, and the poor choice in management material coupled with the culture of contempt that is bred within your stores literally helps no one.