Safeway - More hours would get better results! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"More hours would get better results!"

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Good pay and benefits,If you have been there a while.The customers really appreciate the way we provide excellent customer service,they appreciate us.

Cons

The amount of work in the time allowed.If everyone is not working to there full potential the job is very difficult everyone needs to be a team player.Remember our customers are why we have a job!

Advice to Management

Add more hours to the stores so that we may better serve the customers while keeping our depts looking presentable.Stop trying to make all the stores so uniform, different areas sell different items.Our differences are what makes people shop around.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. "If you don't mind being used for the first few years, and you have a heart of stone, Safeway's an option."

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

There's alot of opportunities for people that otherwise wouldn't have them because of minimal education. Safeway is big on internal promotions, and going up in the company is easy if you have a positive attitude and are willing to take direction.

Cons

Safeway coperate expects a lot and they don't give you a lot of time to get it done in.

Advice to Management

Dial down the negative and give more positive reinforcement. It goes a long way when the little victories are recognized. It puts the drive back in us.

"Great job in a recession"

Current Employee - Senior Food Clerk in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Food Clerk in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Good job in a recession and very possible to work you way up to store manager level.

Cons

Safeway tends to promote people with little knowledge of retail operations in the stores. Most stores have a cliche or a personality driven cult built around the store manager and you have to be in the crowd to get good upward movement.

Women mangers tend to strongly favor women and men mangers tend to favor men. Its is very hard work to work your way thru the ranks and the hours are poor.

Mangers are constantly hounded by corporate continuously by people who tend to lack a good understanding of store operations. Goals are usually unrealistic and lack common sense.

Advice to Management

Quit driving the mangers so hard with unrealistic goals and let the stores run. One example would be out of stock conditions. How could you expect only 150 out of stocks store wide out of 10,000 skus?

Make all management recruits work thru all the departments in the store over at least a years time to get a good understand of the problems of each department. Bring more gray hair in the stores in leadership positions to balance out the very young and irresponsible mangers you are promoting.

Audit the mangers, most (I would estimate 70%) spend the whole day in the office hiding at a time of high employee turnover. They are needed on the sales floor. Most are afraid to check and actually ignore the customers and the lines on the front end.

There is way to much nepotism and store manger promotions based on knowing someone high up in corporate. These people make horrible managers. They come with a feeling of entitlement and treat our customers with disrespect.

The best mangers are hands on, spend considerable time on the sales floor, get to know their staff and are firm and fair with all.