Safeway - OK | Glassdoor

"OK"

Current Employee - Front End Manager in Rosslyn, VA
Current Employee - Front End Manager in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it's a company for workers if you come to work do your 8 do as you are asked it's all gravy.

Cons

Social life has gone from minim to nonexistent.

Advice to Management

eh I don't wanna

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Just a job. Good for housewives and bored retirees."

Former Employee - Wine Steward in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Wine Steward in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was fairly simple and straightforward. For the most part I was left alone to do my job and didn't have many hassles. The training sessions we had every other month were nice, but the frequency is still below the average for the industry.

Cons

If you're a clock puncher on the retail floor level, the company will screw you at some point, whether it be time, money, or benefits, and the union is completely impotent in helping you with it. I was promised a mileage compensation during training that was trimmed by a few hundred dollars. I was demoted to part time during the downturn even though that was a violation of contract rules if you'd worked for the company X amount of time. And they even screwed me on a couple days sick pay at the end.
    The company also has an absolutely strange culture where they rabidly prevent contact from subordinates at the retail level to management at the corporate level. I was chastised several times for attempting to contact anyone that wasn't a direct supervisor above my position despite them lacking clear and proper supervision channels when I started, even when it was done with intention of improving how the company did business.

Advice to Management

Unclench a little and listen to the advice that reliable people who are your direct representatives with your customers give you as managers. If you promise something, deliver, and don't break your own rules just because you can get away with it, because that lacks class.

"Sad to see what Safeway has become, used to be proudrue to be a Safeway employee.no longer true"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy meeting customers and public. Nice to see your .grow over the years. So far the paycheck hasn't bounced

Cons

Micro managed by district manager, map hours cut to 105%. Upper managment has lost touch with the frontline employees. No respect, Senior management uses threats and intimidation. When the economy rebounds there will be a mass exodus of experiinced employees. Meat wrappers now get a 10 cent an hour raise after 5000 hours. SAD

Advice to Management

get back to basics, treat your employees with respect and value your experianced works. They are your core.. Look at your stock it is an all time low and so is moral in your stores. Shoppers are tuned in to this