Safeway - Hell on earth for little pay or respect | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Hell on earth for little pay or respect"

Current Employee - Food Clerk in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Food Clerk in Reston, VA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

not too many. the cons really outweigh any possible pros and make the environment horrible anyway.

Cons

disrespectful, treat employees like dirt, bad pay with little raises. I had to fight to get a raise and they made me lose all my raises when I went inactive since they weren't accommodating my college schedule

Advice to Management

raise wages, treat employees with respect

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"It was once fun, now it seems like the expectations far exceed the support needed for success"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot from people that have been around for awhile. Stores in the area are clean. You learn a lot of good skills (merchandising ect...)probably mostly due to the area.

Cons

The hours in the stores keep getting reduced making it more and more difficult to do our jobs. A lot of people that hold high positions in the company shop in the stores all around HQ so if things are not perfect 24/7 pictures are taken and then shot like a cannon thru company email.

Advice to Management

Pick your battles. Perfection cannot be achieved when hours keep getting taken away from the stores. Remember that folks still come to the grocery store for one thing....groceries.

2. "Its an ok job, but without ambition you wont move up."

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Pay is ok if you have experience, Good for a school/job balance. Success is up to you.

Cons

Pay is not good at the start. 6 Months at 40 hrs a week gets you a 25 cent raise. There are some employees burning out and the union just wants your dues. It is fairly common for a lazy/incompetent employee to continue to keep their job due to the union, which kills morale.

Advice to Management

Some mid-level often seems out of touch with reality, and fail to motivate store level employees. Other managers are great. 360 Degree evaluations would demonstrate this.