Safeway - It's a job, not a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"It's a job, not a career"

Current Employee - Beverage Steward in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Beverage Steward in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The particular job I have is fairly easy to do. It doesn't involve most of the scut work that many of the typical store level emplyees have to deal with. Some stores are good, some are not, it's entirely dependent upon the management group of the particular store. I've been fortunate to have a decent working relationship with store level management, so have had little problems there. The pay for a comparable position was decent, but not outstanding.

Cons

My senority did not earn me much respect in staffing or location. As a result, when volume went down, I was demoted to part-time despite being senior-most at my job with the highest qualifications. The raises come slowly as it all gets negotiated by unions. The benefits take forever to get, and can disappear easily if you don't work enough hours (which you don't control). Getting anything changed is a very slow process, if at all. Initiative is not typically rewarded unless you reach management level (no bonuses or additional compensation).

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the ground a bit more as they are your link to the customer, instead of just going with what a desk man and a spreadsheet 500 miles away tells you. I know you try to keep the costs down, and labor is a big part of that, but be more generous to those that do well in working for you instead of just rating everyone along certain union guidelines.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Do not work here"

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Littleton, CO

Pros

Reasonable benefits, easy to get hired, customers are great, non-management jobs are pretty low key and not too many expectations.

Cons

Micro managed to an insane degree, very top down management, no team work is in place or encouraged, management does not treat anyone like peers only like underlings, gossip mill is very busy,

Advice to Management

Need to teach and practice teamwork! Stop micro managing and implementing a new program every week. Please simplify and get down to things that actually help sell groceries.

"Average interview primarily based on behavioral questions. Predictable."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I always felt personal rushes when I see the financial reports and hear from approving customers and employees they demonstrate to me how great my store could run at times. There's no better source for exhiliration in a professional environment that I have found.

Cons

Often times it's a thankless job. People are quick to point out what's wrong while providing minimal recognition for when accompdations are made for their particular issues. Work/life balance is often askew as well.

Advice to Management

Important to realize they every 'senior manager' demands their own separate list of tasks to be done and adhered to constantly. This is not a sound business practice especially at the expense of our work/life balance. It is far better to 'consolidate' those lists of demands into something more simple and easycto manage.