Safeway - Typical job | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Typical job"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Move up quickly
- Nice people
- Occasional discounts (they go quick)
- Quick Hiring Process
- Ability to shift to different departments and try other positions

Cons

- Repetitive
- Management can be unfriendly
- Low pay
- Stocking shelves
- No employee discount
- Unfriendly customers
- Poor management selection
- Often need to go to someone else to get something done

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. "Poor District Management"

Current Employee - Management in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Received a pay check every week.

Cons

District Manager had no personality, it's all about who you know. Poor training. Two faced environment. Impossible bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Get a good training program, teach district managers to be equal with managers. Far too many audits

"No matter how desperate you are for a job, do not, I repeat- DO NOT, seek a job here!"

Current Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing I really like about working for Safeway is a handful of my coworkers, which has nothing to do with the company itself, so I guess there's really no pros at all.

Cons

-Management does nothing, and lets the lazy employees get away with doing nothing as well. However, if you are a hard working employee, you will constantly be criticized and told to work harder/faster/etc., and it will never be good enough. Work yourself to the bone, and you're still the only one getting punished, not little ms. sit in the corner and text for half of her shift.
    -They do not follow union policies that they by law are supposed to. As an employee who works in a food department, by union policy, I am not allowed to work in a non-food department while continuing to work as a food worker. This doesn't ever stop management from throwing me in other departments without my knowledge OR consent until days before.
    -Don't trust anyone. Gossip will spread faster than you can imagine. Suddenly you telling someone you were sick from food poisoning turns into you "going to a party and drinking so much you got alcohol poisoning and had to get your stomach pumped".
    -Scheduling is terrible. Employees at my store who have been there for 5+ years still get low hours (8-20 hours per week), and schedules are posted just one day before the new week. Also, the schedules get changed 2-5 times a week without anyone being told, and you're expected to figure it out on your own, but if you don't, you get in trouble.
    -Law-breakers. Safeway employees are supposed to go no longer than 3 hours without a break or lunch. I constantly work 8 hours shifts with no breaks or lunches.
    -Working overtime will not get you overtime pay, unless you make a big deal about it. I was owed 20 hours worth of overtime for a whole month and was not receiving it, even after telling my manager 4 times to fix the issue. I had to refuse to go downstairs from his office to work until he would let me sit there and watch him fix my paycheck.

Overall, this company sucks. There's many more things I could list, but now its getting to be too long. I'm a very hard working person, and very much an over-achiever, yet this job constantly breaks me down and makes me feel worthless. I've been so stressed about work the past week that I had to get back on Prozac (which I got written up for having a prescription to this in the past, yes, by Slaveway), just so I wouldn't want to harm myself.

However, if you want to get overworked, underpaid, and feel more stressed than you ever have in your entire life, please apply!

Advice to Management

You guys seriously need to start enforcing union policies as well as health-department regulations. I am so disgusted with my workplace and the way that myself and other employees are treated. I cannot wait until the day that I find a new job, so that I can quit last minute on a day when I'm really truly needed.