Safeway - An ok job if you have to take it. Helper Clerk | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"An ok job if you have to take it. Helper Clerk"

Current Employee - Helper Clerk in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Helper Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to help out the customers can be fun and helps cure boredom while stocking shelves.

Cons

Most managers in all retail/grocery/low pay jobs are stressed out all the time and therefore are not the easiest to get along with at work.

Advice to Management

Make things easier on management, so that they can be happier and nicer to employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"One of the worst jobs i have undertaken."

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unionized, everyone is friendly, benefits.

Cons

I currently work for the deli department and the workload is ridiculous for the amount of pay that we recieve, there's constant pressure from management to keep up with high demand, uniforms aren't free, just for you program doesn't give free items to employees anymore like they did when it first came out, scheduling sucks, part time only, no overtime, noone ever wants to close because its alot of work for the pay, poor morale, low pay equals to minimum efforts by most employees.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, and do the best you can for them, we all work hard for almost nothing.

"The absolute worst job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Store was very organized co-worker were pretty nice. You were paid weekly and the benefits were not that bad.

Cons

I never actually encountered one person who actually enjoyed their job. Most of the people I worked with were miserable and hated their jobs but stuck around because the benefits were good and the workers were unionized Management was strict and very harsh with their employees. I started around Christmas time and received very little on the floor training and was expected to do my job perfectly. I was consistently reprimanded for not doing things the way my anal retentive managers expected me to. I have had a lot of bad jobs in my day but I have never before been so miserable at a job. Most of the employees called the company 'Slaveway' and were incredibly resentful towards the management.

Advice to Management

Find some humanity. Treat your employees with some respect and common decency so they don't go home at the end of the day feeling dead inside.