Safeway - It pays the bills, but it doesn't seem like any upward movement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"It pays the bills, but it doesn't seem like any upward movement."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
Current Employee - Delivery Driver

Pros

There really is no good reason to work in the store, but as a delivery driver, the money is decent, and you're on your own which is nice. Most of the employees are pretty cool too.

Cons

You have to deal with people in the store sometime. Although most are cool, there are a few that like to make life difficult, but I guess that's everywhere.

Also, no upward movement unless you want to be a store manager which requires 40+ hrs which can be tough if you have a family.

Advice to Management

You should allow the employees to give feedback on management in the store. Hold them accountable. The managers should be subject to a review, just so you know what really goes on.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Working for Safeway!"

Pros

There are tons of different areas to grow into at Safeway, but it takes initiative to be recognized. The job is also pretty stable, people always need food.

Cons

They will promote based on customer service or years of employment, not their management skills. Pay increases do not happen quickly.

Advice to Management

Have better promotion programs, praise your employees more often, and look at increasing wages by performance and customer service, not just by time spent.

2. "It's a Job."

Current Employee - Person In Charge
    Current Employee - Person In Charge

Pros

There are substantial opportunities for growth, as long as you are comfortable with the things Safeway expects of you; In my time with Safeway I advanced very quickly (less than two years) to being one of the most powerful people in the store. When I became management I was given good training both at the store and through a seminar course. The benefits are the only reason I stay at Safeway; Similar/superior benefits are available elsewhere, but Safeway is the best job in my community. Pay increases are based on the number of hours you have worked.

Cons

My job at Safeway is a union job. This has its benefits, but Safeway is a large enough company that the union does not provide much that you would not get otherwise. I have worked for Safeway for four years with three of those as management, and my compensation is not equal to my responsibilities. As a PIC I am left in charge of the store in the absence of the store manager and assistant manager, and my wage does not seem fair to me, since I sometimes run the entire store. Some men that I work with work very hard and earn their pay, but some men who have worked at the store for less time with equal/lesser job responsibilities make journeyman wage, which is $2.15 per hour more than I do. Some cashiers who were hired at the same time I was make the minimum possible because any pay raises they would have received were nullified by the minimum wage being increased by more than their pay-scale increase. Cost-of-living increases are only given when minimum wage goes up, and only to those making minimum wage. The pay scale is based on hours worked and not performance. This is beneficial to people who do their jobs, but it is a disadvantage to people who work above-and-beyond. Union contracts vary between districts, so the step progressions in different districts are not always the same.

Advice to Management

Your employees may be expendible, but you should not treat them as such. Each of them is a person, not simply a cog in your machine. If people are respected as individuals you will see more loyalty.