Safeway - Persistance PAYS off! | Glassdoor

"Persistance PAYS off!"

Former Employee - Floral Manager in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Floral Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are serious about becoming a manager or excelling in some other fashion, don't be afraid to voice it. Demand it and prove you are both capable and deserve it. This is what I did and at 18 years old I was the youngest department manager there.

Cons

Many workers at Safeway have been there a very long time and have become absorbed to the point where Safeway is there life. They live for drama and seek any ups and downs to live through. It was hard to balance the delicate line of being social and keeping to myself. I don't like to be involved in drama but its hard to do when you socialize and become friendly.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. "Not good..."

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Arlington, VA

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get automatic raises after certain periods of time,

Cons

Managers micro manage, I always had scheduling issues and they were not understanding of the fact I was still in school at all, one manager in particular only ever wanted me to work on carts so I would be stuck with 8 hour shifts in the middle of winter outside constantly except for my 15 minute break

Advice to Management

Work better with employees about scheduling

2. "Only if you have no other choice"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Lafayette, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Lafayette, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They're always hiring (high turnover) and aren't too selective. Union's benefit plan is surprisingly good. Their are some nice people there.

Cons

Awful pay, lots of nasty people in positions of power. The work is crappy and thankless. Worst though is management; they are completely incompetent at every level. Corporate has strict safety and performance guidelines that local wants nothing to do with, and every different manager has a different opinion on the "right" way to do something. Store is permanently understaffed but employees are blamed when impossible workloads are not met. Those who care about doing a good job are run ragged while others underperform or screw up. Management does not have resources or power to get to bottom of problems and they go consistently unsolved.

Advice to Management

I'd say fire yourselves and let someone else try, but you did that and it didn't work. On the large scale, corporate needs to realize all it's rules and guidelines are completely ignored by the local branch and reconcile. On the small scale, the best thing you can do is training. My training was 6 hours in front of a computer listening to the history of Safeway; then I was expected to know how to bag, help customers, etc. New hires should shadow someone who knows what they're doing for a good week before being let loose on their own. More employees might also help.