Safeway - Can be ok, but expect to work here a LONG time before you make a decent paycheck | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Can be ok, but expect to work here a LONG time before you make a decent paycheck"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, not overly serious. I was able to get 40 hours a week because my manager was a cool guy, but it's not the norm for new hires.

Cons

Doing the work of 2 people due to shortage of hours. Unable to get a raise after almost a year of doing great. People consistently call out sick because they aren't paid enough to care.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly instead of replacing half the staff every couple months. Demoralizing to lose friends and coworkers because they aren't on the old contract and make half as much for doing the same job.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Stop with all the audits!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good steady work. If you are flexible and want a chance to advance to management, good company to move up fast with, if you make it known.

Cons

Hours for employees have been cut way back for some reason. Only 2 checkers maybe 3 at best. Nobody really wants to work anymore because of all the unnescessary crap we have to deal with. No baggers anymore, stores are always a mess, and turnover rate in management is starting to become very noticeable. Leadership is not like it used to be and payroll is always messed up along with requested days off. Write ups hardly ever happen except if you are an order witer.

Advice to Management

This company seems to have lost touch with fulfilling the customer needs and wants. And why are there so many audits??? These ridiculous audits corporate keeps setting forth are wearing all of us out and a manager can't even enjoy a day off anymore without getting a call that "so and so from corporate is here to do an audit". Really??? Get the company back to what it needs to be to get the customers back. Stop remodeling the stores too, because everyone knows that remodels brings higher prices, just a given. Serious waste of time and the customers hate it and so do we as employees. We have to hear it from the customers every day and we get tired of it. The customers want to come in and shop where they know they can stretch their $$$ as much as they can, but you just do what YOU think is necessary and never pay attention at all. Really sad that Kroger's sales are higher than ours and we are always and always will be lagging behind them. Put the money back into the stores for the employees by allowing for more hours. Only 2 checkers maybe 3 checkers scheduled everyday and no baggers anymore either. The customers don't like standing in line and shouldn't. Walk into a Kroger store and you will find out they have more 2x/3x the cashiers with baggers and checkstands open than Safeway does. And by cashiers, I don't mean a Manager on the checkstand either. Also, we (the stocking clerks) can't stock our depts. correctly if you keep cutting hours either. Cut the hours and the products can't get filled to shelves, which means out-of-stocks will always be higher and that means we will never live up to the expectations of what corporate wants; even though most of corporate seems to have never really worked in a store at all, but yet you seem to know what's best for thestores always. Find a way to lower the prices like our campaign back in the fall of 2009 and you might be amazed that sales will start to go up again. But what do I know, I just actually work in a store, and you don't.

2. "Safeway"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Brentwood, CA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview process was quick and painless

Cons

I made more in the 90's than I am now, but on the other hand, I am grateful to have a job.