Safeway - Used to be a family company but steadily declining! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Used to be a family company but steadily declining!"

Current Employee - Meat Clerk
Current Employee - Meat Clerk

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is better than no job.
If you are a tier A employee in the Tacoma District you have wonderful benefits and pay.
Plenty of entry level positions.
If you are willing to "play the game" there are great opportunities for career advancement.
If you are military they have special programs to help you get management positions. Safeway is good about working with special needs people.
Union Safety

Cons

Your to-do list, or expectations are 100 tasks long but the company only gives you time to complete about 80%. They openly acknowledge this system but still expect you to get everything done. Safeway constantly portrays the image of a "family company" but most people work such erratic hours, holidays and weekends and stores that it's very difficult to get time off when you would want to spend with your family. The only reason half the checkers get enough hours to support their family is because they offer to stay late or come in early or they are "on call".

To be honest, I don't know if the issues we are currently facing here in the Tacoma District are an issue just here or across the company. But if you are a tier B employee you have to work around 4 or more years to get decent benefits and that's if you can get full time work. Many checkers have been working for the company for 25 plus years and can't get more than 25 hours a week. Every three years when a new contract comes up the company takes more and more away from the employees. We pay more for our benefits, haven't had a decent raise in 10 years only get paid holiday pay for certain holidays and right now they are open for Christmas and Thanksgiving also and are fighting to give us only a $1 an hour extra if we do work holidays.

When I first started with the company ten years ago, we had BBQ's to celebrate milestones, gain sharing when your store performed well, safety prizes for maintaining a safe store, award ceremonies and $ prizes for outstanding customer service. There was a lot of pride inside the company. Currently this has COMPLETELY eroded away. The moral in the Tacoma District is very sad.

Advice to Management

People before Profits! Treat your employees like your slogan says, provide them with "Ingredients for Life" not ingredients for poverty.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"Management overworks employees and does not compensate them fairly."

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

Coworkers are good and they offer benefits.

Cons

Pay is horrible, little opportunity to move up, and employees are undervalued.

Advice to Management

Employees should be recognized for the work they do.

"Good First Job"

Former Employee - Bagger
    Former Employee - Bagger

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since the store is open 24 hours a day, the schedule is very flexible. Decent employment benefits, Easy to transfer within departments and get promoted.

Cons

Management takes themselves way to seriously and commonly talked down to many of the lower employees. The dress code is unusually strongly enforced.