Safeway - Store Manager - Long Hours, Hard Work, Wasted Time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

"Store Manager - Long Hours, Hard Work, Wasted Time"

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to see the real world application of microeconomic theory - see profit and loss and what effects it and how you can make it better. Great job stability - unless you violate one of their ethical guidelines, you effectively can't be fired as a store manager. Pay is very competitive and benefits package is excellent.

Cons

Long hours - 50 hours minimum, 60 hours typical, 80 hours occasionally when things go wrong and/or you don't have employees. Blue collar work despite white collar job description - you WILL check and stock shelves fully 50 percent of your time, and it could be higher than that depending on your staffing situations. 'Backstage' not supportive nor focused on stores, 'help' not available and not helpful - everyone backstage is too busy telecommuting on Fridays to show up at the store, even in the middle of the week, and when they DO show up, they are more focused on documenting your failures than on helping you train and develop your team. Management focused on the wrong things - profits for shareholders instead of better experiences for the customer or higher pay for employees, and it shows when you walk through the front door. We just can't compete with other chains because we don't have the flexibility, nor the 'backstage' support.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer and on employees, not on shareholders and consumer packaged goods companies. Stop wasting Store Manager's time - if there aren't other people in the store you can trust, you're doing it wrong. Figure out why we're in business and what we ought to do to still be in business at a high level in twenty years - then build a strategy that's focused on THAT, not making our quarterly profit plan so that senior management can cash in their stock options. Let Store Managers fire problem employees instead of shuffling them around until their career reads like the stores on a District conference call. Introduce real 'backstage' help that's really focused on making stores better for customers and employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

"If you are 23 and younger they treat you like a child."

Pros

Its a competitive working environment which i did like.

Cons

Working 30 hours and still considered Part Time.
    A Union company but when something happens the Union doesnt do anything!

"Not the worst place I ever worked, but not the best"

Former Employee - CPhT in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - CPhT in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actually the Union. They made sure we weren't overworked, which is a plus in the pharmacy. the training program was really good. Automatic raises every year regardless of performance.Good benefits after a year.

Cons

My immediate pharmacists were great, but dealing with upper management was terrible. They made policies in the office without thinking about us in the trenches. They are doing all this remodeling for the wellness rooms,and we were forced to work during construction in our pharmacy. Why they couldn't do it at night when we were closed, I don't know. The customers sure weren't happy. I sure didn't like the noise and breathing in all the dust. They would cut our hours every summer, but heap on more responsibilities and requirements.

Advice to Management

The people in the office need to work in the pharmacies for a week and then make your policies!