Safeway - Stimulating and challenging. | Glassdoor

"Stimulating and challenging."

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture
The people were really friendly and welcoming
Opportunity to be promoted quickly
Great experience especially for entry level workers

Cons

Office, desk type of job
Can get boring sometimes

Other Employee Reviews for Safeway

1. "It's okay"

Current Employee - General Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - General Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get an employee discount plus special coupons and free items every once in a while.
    It's pretty hard to get fired from there, you could be the worst employee ever but as long as you show up for the shifts they probably won't fire you.
    They are willing to work around your school schedule, and will generally give you all the days off that you ask for.
    You get paid every week.
    You get overtime if you work more than 8 hours in one day, a lot of companies only do overtime if it's more than 40 hours a week.
    If you are a good employee, you can ask for a merit raise and they will likely give it to you.

Cons

Not allowed to ask for holidays off.
    Schedule is only posted once a week, almost impossible to plan things in your personal life.
    Schedule can be completely random depending on what job you work. You might open at 4:45 a.m. one day, and the next day you will be on a closing shift and there until midnight.
    It's really hard to get a raise at Safeway, and the raise is only 10 cents. You have to work over 1040 hours to get the raise, and it's pretty hard to get that in less than a year, unless you are lucky enough to actually get 40 hours a week.
    If the minimum wage gets raised, you lose any raises you might have earned. For example, I started at 7.35, was there for a year and earned a raise. Minimum wage became 7.65. Instead of bumping me up to 7.75, I was back to making minimum wage like all the new hires. This happened to me 2 more times.

2. "Corporate Environment"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Safeway full-time

Pros

Personality wise, I worked with some of the best people. Also, the compensation, in terms of pay is better than other organizations in the industry.

Cons

Unfortunately, the corporate culture is behind the times. Advancement is not based on an individual's job performance, credentials or ability to complete the job. Too many people are promoted based on being in the "in crowd". In general, moral is bad.

Advice to Management

Management should promote people based on their ability to complete the job and their contribution as opposed to their associations.